Cleaning inside of head pipe...HOW?

grpark20

Well, I have some down time and want to go ahead and clean the carbon out of the head pipes on my T-5's. I just repolished them back to chrome and found the trick about spraying hi-temp paint in them to stop the blueing from happening (aside from properly jetting). My question is do I need to clean the carbon out of them or just spray away? If I need to clean, then how and what do you use?

Yup, go to a pool store and get muriatic acid. I just bought some last week. It cost me $4.95 for a gallon. You have to dilute it with water. You have to wear rubber gloves and a full respirator when using it. Just rinse with straight water when you're done. It will strip all of the oils off, so you need to coat it with something to keep from rusting.

I am going to paint the inside.....I definately know the concrete acid stuff will strip them, but don't know the efects it will have on the chrome? Anybody else got any ideas? Be nice if someone had a junk pair of header pipes and tried before I ruin my T-5's. It would give me a reason to get Shearer's or CPIs :whistling:

You could try plugging one end, and dumping acid inside. But, when the acid hits metal, it bubbles up while it's cleaning and gets hot to the touch. You would have to be careful that it didn't get on the chrome. Actually, I'll go outside tomorrow and try it on something chrome and report back to ya. Question: Why would you want to paint the inside of your pipes?

I just thought of this.....what about a wire brush that goes on the drill with one of those extendable flexible cords to try and reach in really far. I only have to clean like the first 8-12 inches since this is the part that usually gets the hottest and blues. What do you think? Also, does the hi-temp paint have to be white or will any color hi-temp paint work?

I am going to paint the inside.....I definately know the concrete acid stuff will strip them, but don't know the efects it will have on the chrome? Anybody else got any ideas? Be nice if someone had a junk pair of header pipes and tried before I ruin my T-5's. It would give me a reason to get Shearer's or CPIs :whistling:

just get the Shearers and call it done! LOL Good luck man.

You could try plugging one end, and dumping acid inside. But, when the acid hits metal, it bubbles up while it's cleaning and gets hot to the touch. You would have to be careful that it didn't get on the chrome. Actually, I'll go outside tomorrow and try it on something chrome and report back to ya. Question: Why would you want to paint the inside of your pipes?

I've read a couple posts that say if you spray the inside of your pipes with hi-temp paint they will never blue on the outside again. A lot of the blueing can be eliminated from propper jetting too. My pipes blued severly when I was brand new and couldn't even spell jetting. Now they're polished back to chrome and I just want the extra insurance.

I've read a couple posts that say if you spray the inside of your pipes with hi-temp paint they will never blue on the outside again. A lot of the blueing can be eliminated from propper jetting too. My pipes blued severly when I was brand new and couldn't even spell jetting. Now they're polished back to chrome and I just want the extra insurance.

Ok. I just don't get the concept, because the paint is gonna get just as hot as the pipes did before you painted. The only time my pipes have blued, is when they're good and hot and you run through a water puddle. Try it and see how it works. I'm kinda curious now.

Ok. I just don't get the concept, because the paint is gonna get just as hot as the pipes did before you painted. The only time my pipes have blued, is when they're good and hot and you run through a water puddle. Try it and see how it works. I'm kinda curious now.

The paint is supose to help insulate the metal for the first couple inches. Helps keep the actual pipe temp down so it doesnt blue the chrome. Kind of the same reason why Jet Hot coats the insides too.

I did it on my T5's when they were new and I never got any blueing but they still had the brown look for the first 5 inches or so.

I done it to my CPI's and have no discoloration at all. I think the quality of the chrome job aslo plays in to the mix.

josh

the acid is nothing to play around with. i would cap off one end and put some seafoam in there and shake it around it mite take some time to first get started but it safe on the skin, chrome, and bare metal. i would get 3-4 bottles and keep shaking it around and after there cleaned filter the seafoam out threw coffy filters and use in the next. they sell it in most auto parts stores. if you use the acid make sure you have bakeing soda close. you could also get a gallon of carb cleaner (NAPA) and do the same thin.

Edited by DILUSI