What race gas ?

MarineNYC

The kind that i have ran here i bought at Florence airport and they call it 100 low lead, after you run it and pull your plugs it turns them a funny color because it actually has a higher lead content than normal fuel even though they call it low lead,it also has stabilizers in it for high altitude.I found that when i run it i need to jet up a little.Me and my buddies have ran this fuel alot and it works good.We use to get it for 1/2 the price as race fuel.

Doesnt AV gasoline have 2 octane ratings. A lean and rich rating?

Lean being a rating like the plane was taking off and rich rating like it is up in the air.

You are right, i found this info online, i have only used the 100LL (low lead) wich really has alot of lead in it compared to auto standards, it gives your plugs kind of a grey color.

Avgas properties and varieties

Gasoline used for aviation fuel generally has two numbers associated with its octane rating. Examples of this include the (now almost completely unavailable) 80/87 avgas, and the 100/130 avgas. The first number indicates the octane rating of the fuel tested to "aviation lean" standards, which is similar to the Motor Octane Number (MON) rating given to automotive gasoline. The second number indicates the octane rating of the fuel tested to the "aviation rich" standard, which tries to simulate a supercharged condition with a rich mixture, elevated temperatures, and a high manifold pressure.

Avgas has a lower and more uniform vapor pressure than automotive gasoline, which keeps it in the liquid state at high-altitude, preventing vapor lock. The particular mixtures in use today are the same as when they were first developed in the 1950s and 1960s, and therefore the high-octane ratings are achieved by the addition of tetra-ethyl lead (TEL), a highly toxic substance that was phased out for car use in most countries in the 1980s. The main petroleum component used in blending avgas is alkylate, which is essentially a mixture of various isooctanes, and some refineries also use some reformate.

Avgas is currently available in several grades with differing maximum lead concentrations. Since TEL is a rather expensive additive, a minimum amount of it is typically added to the fuel to bring it up to the required octane rating so actual concentrations are often lower than the maximum.

Jet fuel is not avgas. It is similar to kerosene and is used in turbine engines. Confusion can be caused by the terms Avtur and AvJet being used for Jet Fuel. In Europe, environmental and cost considerations have led to increasing numbers of aircraft being fitted with highly fuel-efficient diesel engines; these too run on jet fuel. Civilian aircraft use Jet-A, Jet-A1 or in severely cold climates Jet-B. There are other classification systems for military turbine and diesel fuel. See Jet fuel.

100LL

100LL, spoken as "100 low lead", contains tetra-ethyl lead (TEL), a lead based anti-knock compound, but less than the "highly-leaded" 100/130 avgas it effectively replaced. Most piston aircraft engines require 100LL and a suitable replacement fuel has not yet been developed for these engines. While there are similar engines that burn non-leaded fuels, aircraft are often purchased with engines that use 100LL because many airports only have 100LL. 100LL contains a maximum of 2 grams of lead per US gallon, or maximum 0.56 grams/litre and is the most commonly available and used aviation gasoline.

i run straight VP 110 on mine and get it for $5 a gallon...at the local dealership...Never had any problems with it...Will run when i drop the 17cc domes in.

I have a correction to make....The local dealership I get my gas from has changed over to Sunoco 110 race gas for $7.50 a gallon...I used to get it VP for $5 a gallon bu that was about a year ago or so.