k&n

I run a Twin Air foam on my CR and and a UNI on my RM, and they are all great filters, but I thought you had to run an outerwear regardless on a K&N for Max protection. The K&N allows max air to flow and the outerwear keeps the micro particles from compromising its protection. At least that is how I understood the system to work.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Uni's and foams are good to but your killing me with the K & N filter bashing, they could be the best filters made. They prove that in every race category there is.

K&N proves they're the best in ever race category there is ??! No way. Not even close. The only time they should be used is for drag racing and if your quad is street legal. EVERYONE who races XC and MX on a dirt bike uses a foam filter, no one uses K&N. 95% of ATV XC and MC guys use foam filters, nearly 100% of the XC guys run foam. Now I realize these guys get sponsored by UNI and Twin-air, but the dirt bike MX guys are paid millions of dollars to win races, their bikes are maintained by the best mechanics and there is a lot at stake at a National race. You think Ricky Carmichael, Bill Ballance, Chris Borich, Bubba, Chad Reed or any factory rider is running a car filter\K&N ? NO. ALL, 100% of the top bike and ATV Pro's use a foam filter. Because the teeny tiny bit of hp you might gain with a K&N is not worth problems. And these Pro's get a fresh engine for every race, you'd think they wouldn't worry about a little dirt getting through with a K&N.

The protection advantage of a foam filter outweighs the air flow advantage. Hell If I was a drag racin' guy I'd still run a foam filter just to protect my investment.

Plain and simple, K&N filters were designed for automotive use, the filters for the quads are the same as the filters for cars. K&N filters cost more and they physically look like they should work better than a little piece of foam, but this is a case where "expensive" doesn't mean its better.

Meat, first off, :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: ^^^ He's the man!

BUT!

I disagree %110.... I know you have been around Meat but have you used a K&N for this stuff ever? Because I do and as long as I clean it thoroughly and oil it, with an outerwear.... Not a spec of anything is getting in my motor. I also use the sealant for where it seals onto the airbox..... I raced 2 hour long races with every type of granular there is floating around...... and after taking the carbs apart and not seeing a spec of anything in the carb bells, or bowls, I'm sold. :yes:

Warnert Racing Rules ATV 4x4 Series with K&N Filters (Clifton Beasley at Unadilla )

http://www.knfilters.com/images/press/warnert6.jpg

outrer wears help w/ the "SAND" most of you guys run in (large grain) but I agree K&N suck w/ powdered sand..the kinda sand down here, when you step you create a dust cloud when it's dry out !

Really? I think they are great. I just really maintain them (but I do that with almost all of my bike...I try and keep it fresh.)

But of course a lot of guys hate Razr 2s also...

no, im talking about dirt sticking to the oil in your intake tract

Your intake tract usually becomes a little oily anyway. (2 stroke) And I'm speaking from first hand experience nothing gets past my filter. Again, I'm not knocking any other brand, just defending the one I have used on everything with a motor since I was 14 years old.

You think Ricky Carmichael, Bill Ballance, Chris Borich, Bubba, Chad Reed or any factory rider is running a car filter\K&N ?

I would imagine that they run a Factory Peroformance Part. Like a GYTR. When your a factory rider or any sponcered rider you dont have a choice what you run.

IF K&N's are pices of crap then why do Baja 1000 Trophy Trucks run them? I dont think there are any other race vehicles that run in a dustier condition than them.

If your super paranoid about dirt getting in to your engine, but want the best flowing filter then run an Air Force Pre Cleaner around a K&N. The add a 2% air flow restriction but stop 90% of fine dirt before it hits the K&N.

One more thing. Any air filter will let dirt though foam or fabric. Why do you think 4 stroke's have an oil filter?

http://www.knfilters.com/airforcewraps.htm

airforce.jpg

I would imagine that they run a Factory Peroformance Part. Like a GYTR. When your a factory rider or any sponcered rider you dont have a choice what you run.

IF K&N's are pices of crap then why do Baja 1000 Trophy Trucks run them? I dont think there are any other race vehicles that run in a dustier condition than them.

If your super paranoid about dirt getting in to your engine, but want the best flowing filter then run an Air Force Pre Cleaner around a K&N. The add a 2% air flow restriction but stop 90% of fine dirt before it hits the K&N.

One more thing. Any air filter will let dirt though foam or fabric. Why do you think 4 stroke's have an oil filter?

http://www.knfilters.com/airforcewraps.htm

airforce.jpg

I'm thinking 4 stokes have oil filters because they have oil pumps..... And metal from the internal parts wearing, or debris from the act of filling the bike with oil (build up of dirt ect. around oil fill hole) Could cause pre mature wear on the pump, and the places the oil is being pumped to.

I dont think material entering through the air filter is the reason for an oil filter.... There isnt much of anything getting past the rings, and valve seals.... Its not like a 2 stroke where the fuel / air is entering the crank case.

I dont think material entering through the air filter is the reason for an oil filter.... There isnt much of anything getting past the rings, and valve seals.... Its not like a 2 stroke where the fuel / air is entering the crank case.

It is not the sole reason but it is part of the reason. I am not saying the oil filters sole purpose is to filter out dirt clods.

Go get your owners manual to your automobiel out. See if it recomends you to change your oil more often if you dirve in dusty conditions.

I've been using K&N for years in Africa, I maintain them good and do not over service them... Some people let more dirt in by cleaning their filters then the filter itself... The foams are top notch, BUT my K&N runs in the most dusty conditions ever, with double women silk socks for pre-cleaning(which I oil also), my motors run good with no problems, if I service my filters I can find honestly not a spec of dirt, otherwise my K&Ns would be out my back door years ago, I choose reliability far before a few extra hp.

I also thought of the trophy trucks in the Baja!!! GOOD POINT there..

Yes the 4 strokes oil filters are for the metal junks of the inner parts wear, nothing to do with filtering sand out of the oil!!