Silencer packing

505chevelle

Has anyone ever tried anything different then what you buy in a packing kit? I was thinking of steel wool, maybe last a little longer??? I have CPI in frames and need to re-pack pretty often, and don't really like them without packing. Anyone use something that works for a while longer??? Thanks BHQ

Edited by 505chevelle

I wonder why it's doing that. Is your bike running a little lean or retarded, making the exhaust too hot? I wouldn't think that the packing would blow out that fast. I just bought some CPI's. I hope that doesn't happen all the time. Never heard of anybody doing it, but maybe some carbon fiber mat would hold up better. I just sold some FMF PowerCore II's and the packing never blew out. Maybe you could try some FMF packing.

I wonder why it's doing that. Is your bike running a little lean or retarded, making the exhaust too hot? I wouldn't think that the packing would blow out that fast. I just bought some CPI's. I hope that doesn't happen all the time. Never heard of anybody doing it, but maybe some carbon fiber mat would hold up better. I just sold some FMF PowerCore II's and the packing never blew out. Maybe you could try some FMF packing.

yeah, I run it pretty hard when I ride it and its got a bunch of compression and timing so its gets pretty hot but, I still think it should last longer then that. I wish I could find some of the stainless packing that they use in race car stuff, Like the magnaflows and borla's have.

I work construction so we deal a lot with fiberglass (insulation.) I can probably explain the situation to one of our suppliers and they can reccommend a material suited to our needs?

What kind of tempteratures must it withstand, etc.?

yeah, I run it pretty hard when I ride it and its got a bunch of compression and timing so its gets pretty hot but, I still think it should last longer then that. I wish I could find some of the stainless packing that they use in race car stuff, Like the magnaflows and borla's have.

Well, I have 185psi of cranking compression, 4* advanced, and ride my bike like an absolute maniac. I ride nothing but very aggressive trails. That thing gets ridden very hard. I've never just blown out packing.

Well, I have 185psi of cranking compression, 4* advanced, and ride my bike like an absolute maniac. I ride nothing but very aggressive trails. That thing gets ridden very hard. I've never just blown out packing.

Note: Dont let stroker ride my bike. jk lol :ermm:

Like mentioned wrap it like a German virgin "Good-n-Tight" and use about 3 wraps of masking tape.

This works well for us: http://www.farmandsandtoys.com/partdetail.asp?partid=173

Also keep the water out of them if your washing them etc..