Installing head/domes/timing plate...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 came out with vice grips, 1 is sitting there and still won't come out...

Threads are to destroyed to double nut (didn't have a 12mm wrench anyways), the propane torch I tried to use was from like 1970 and caught fire and almost blew up in my garage, but I played fireman.

:evil:

Vice grips and no 12mm wrench? What the HELL!!!! 12mm is a very popular wrench!!!

Vice grips and no 12mm wrench? What the HELL!!!! 12mm is a very popular wrench!!!

no kidding!, i mean technically if you own a banshee you should atleast have a 10mm, 12mm, 14mm, sock and wrench i mean with those six things you should be able to tear the whole damn bike apart..lol

Air Kroil is the bomb for penatrating oil. Sears is having one hell of a sale on wrenches right now. $20 bucks will get you a metric set of wrenches! If you have your cylinders off, try locking the stud in a vise and turning the cylinder. Soak it in some penetrating oil for a few hours first. Do you have to replace all of the studs for a PD head?

I have one somewhere, but my brothers also use the same tool sets. They never put shit away and I got tired of looking for it, so I consider it gone.

Yes, you have to replace all studs for the PD head.

When your putting the head back on take the 90 deg elbo off the back of the PD head. Then install the head and get everything torqued down. Put the elbow in the hose and then bolt it to the back of the cylinder head. That way you not fighting the rear radiator hose and trying to keep everything lined up.

I would recomend using vasoline on the o rings to hold them in to place. I wouldnt use wheel bearing grease. Vasoline will melt with heat so you wont have chuncks floating around in your coolant system.

you need a set of wrenches and a locking tool box....

I have multiple sets of wrenches, only one being metric. One of the two sizes missing is the 12mm.

Just because I couldn't find one of my wrenches doesn't mean I don't have tool sets.

And it is a locking toolbox, and it's in my garage...I shouldn't have to lock it (you would think, at least.)

------------------

@ Jbooker - Thanks dude, I was wondering about that too. (O-Ring Installation) Thanks for the added advice too.

The only promblem a had was with the o-rings and i used vasoline and they kept popping out so i cleaned it all off and used a littel bit of spray addhesive and it worked for me something you might want to have around .

Dont try to install the whole head at once. Put an oring on a dome. then set the dome on the cylinder. Then put the shell on top of the domes. Much better than fightng every thing.