4-stroke guys

My gf's quad was running great untill one day the damn choke plunger froze in the carb. I finnaly got that bastard out after 2 hours of dicking with it. The old choke was operated by a cable and was expensive as hell to replace so i bought a klx250s hand choke for it since they use almost the same carb. But now it seems to pop like crazy when deaccelerating. It always popped once ot twice now it pops like 15 times Other than that it runs pretty good but not like it used to. Any idea what is causing the popping when i let off the gas? thanks

What did you do to fix the popping? That may be causing your new problem. I hate 4-strokes. I could never get my YFZ to not pop or sound rough at some point in in the rpm range; even though it ran awesome until the rod went through the case on 2 motors and the third started knocking. Sorry to get off subject. :biggrin:

What did you do to fix the popping? That may be causing your new problem. I hate 4-strokes. I could never get my YFZ to not pop or sound rough at some point in in the rpm range; even though it ran awesome until the rod went through the case on 2 motors and the third started knocking. Sorry to get off subject. :biggrin:

You must have a early yfz before the oil mod

You must have a early yfz before the oil mod

yea they fixed that yfz prob after 04 i believe , and now that you fixed the choke it actually might make the jetting off a little since now its working correctly, id see what ur plug looks like first hand might be a lil rich now after fixing choke problem

My gf's quad was running great untill one day the damn choke plunger froze in the carb. I finnaly got that bastard out after 2 hours of dicking with it. The old choke was operated by a cable and was expensive as hell to replace so i bought a klx250s hand choke for it since they use almost the same carb. But now it seems to pop like crazy when deaccelerating. It always popped once ot twice now it pops like 15 times Other than that it runs pretty good but not like it used to. Any idea what is causing the popping when i let off the gas? thanks

firs off, what is it? does it have exhaust mods- what pipe what can. is the timing/ ignition stock? intake? sounds like you don't have any serious engine mods, but it's not balanced. the stock exhaust will scavenge on the low end, and especially on decelleration. depending on what you have, you prolly need to go get a dynojet kit. i only glanced at the instructions, but they are specific to your engine, and tell what to use for whatever setup you got and then some. if i knew what you had, i could tell you how it should sound/run. also, make sure the air cleaner is clean. as for the fuel screw, you should run it out untill the idle is the highes and smooth, then turn it back in 1/4 turn. this is called the lean burn limit. don't be affraid of the word lean, it's just the term for where it's supposed to run on the idle circut.

its just a little mojave 250. Its all stock. I made the choke seal correctly. I took it around my yard in the snow and on the road with the snow and it ran good. I then ran it on the dry pavement and it had quite a bit of hesitation........its wierd, one rev it will rev right up and then i will rev it again and it will be hesitant. Air filter is clean. It has those shitty CVX carbs that has the vacume operated slide. Kinda thinkin about getting a different carb but dont want to spend $165 on another carb if thats not the problem

its just a little mojave 250. Its all stock. I made the choke seal correctly. I took it around my yard in the snow and on the road with the snow and it ran good. I then ran it on the dry pavement and it had quite a bit of hesitation........its wierd, one rev it will rev right up and then i will rev it again and it will be hesitant. Air filter is clean. It has those shitty CVX carbs that has the vacume operated slide. Kinda thinkin about getting a different carb but dont want to spend $165 on another carb if thats not the problem

snow? sounds like you're too lean for the cold. can you drive it with the choke partially on?if it gets better in the 0-1/2 throttle, jet up. also, check real closelly for cracked rubber on intake, the cold is horrible for rubber. moove the carbs up/down & side-side while it's running, it shouldn't change

snow? sounds like you're too lean for the cold. can you drive it with the choke partially on?if it gets better in the 0-1/2 throttle, jet up. also, check real closelly for cracked rubber on intake, the cold is horrible for rubber. moove the carbs up/down & side-side while it's running, it shouldn't change

It ran awsome all last winter without touching the carb. The gf and i took it to the dunes and when we got home we parked it for prolly 3 weeks. I went to start it and the choke was stuck in. It started fine and was doing the same thing it is doing now. I fixed the choke and its still doing it. I dont understand. The slide is controled by engine vacume not a throttle cable like our banshees. I held the slide down so it wouldnt lift and gave it gas and it runs better????? It acts like its getting to much gas, but i havent touched it so i dont get wtf is going on

Edited by bansheejoel

It ran awsome all last winter without touching the carb. The gf and i took it to the dunes and when we got home we parked it for prolly 3 weeks. I went to start it and the choke was stuck in. It started fine and was doing the same thing it is doing now. I fixed the choke and its still doing it. I dont understand. The slide is controled by engine vacume not a throttle cable like our banshees. I held the slide down so it wouldnt lift and gave it gas and it runs better????? It acts like its getting to much gas, but i havent touched it so i dont get wtf is going on

you tore the carb down and gave it a real good cleaning right? was it corrosion that sieved the choke? i bet that there's corrosion/debris elsewhere. wouldn't holding the slide richen it? :huh:

Edited by AKheathen