Trail riding and fuel consumption?

maxtrax

I was doing some trail riding earlier this year and was riding pretty hard. It was mostly flat and I could run 4-6gear most all the time. :evil: It was about 6 miles before we ran out of trails and had to turn around. When we turned around I checked my gas tank and realized that I had to ride a little lighter on the way back as I had only about 1/2 tank.

That day I rode about 12-14 miles total and was right on the verge of switching to reserve. The guys I ride with run 4-stroke and have plenty of gas (I know 4-strokes get better mpg).

Just curious what mpg you get and what type of riding you do?

I was doing some trail riding earlier this year and was riding pretty hard. It was mostly flat and I could run 4-6gear most all the time. :evil: It was about 6 miles before we ran out of trails and had to turn around. When we turned around I checked my gas tank and realized that I had to ride a little lighter on the way back as I had only about 1/2 tank.

That day I rode about 12-14 miles total and was right on the verge of switching to reserve. The guys I ride with run 4-stroke and have plenty of gas (I know 4-strokes get better mpg).

Just curious what mpg you get and what type of riding you do?

seems like something maybe wrong

you should get more than your getting

i rode 4 hrs sunday and still wasnt on reserve but damn close

I have a 5.6 gal tank on mine as well I can get about 90 to 100 miles on it trail riding. desert racing I usually stop around the 50 mile mark + or - depending on the track and where the pits landed on the coarse to be safe with fuel left in the tank. I have thought about trying 3 laps to reduce a pit stop but thought that would be pushing it, I would rather not push the bike in. If you haven`t done a top end in a while you might do a compression test to see if your getting due. I can usually tell with mine I have to start jetting it up and starts going through a lot more fuel when the top end starts going south. May not be the same for your bike, It`s just a charcterisitc I noticed with mine.

mods can have a big impact on mileage especially if they are not matched well so that is something to consider as well.

I have done a top end rebuild/boring and shaved the head .070 since that ride. There was about .010-.011" clearance between pistons/cylinder before. (BTW-I was running in pb most of the time) I have not really tested my mpg since the rebuild so it may be better now. I will have to do another ride and check it.

Thanks guys. You are always a big help when it comes to this stuff.

What do you think I should be able to expect?

Edited by maxtrax

Banshees are definatly not the best gas savers thats for damn sure. But if you do find yourself hitting reserve just about everytime your out a new 5 gallon gas tank is a good Idea. I know I need one for sure but Im a little strapped for cash rite now.

dude.... A full tank lasts me about 2 1/2 - 3 1/4 Hours in trails..... Its horrible, I hit up reserve EVERY time I'm out. I def need the bigger tank but they are hideous imo.

Maybe I'll just not ride as hard.......... N E V E R !!!! lol

Oh comeon now they dont look that bad and to hell with going all the way out worrying about if you have enough gas out in the long stretch and having to push it back. That thought alone has me scared alot of times. I had this dude at the bike shop I go to offer me a complete 5.5 gallon tank for 75 bucks and I havent seen him since I hope I see him or get an idea where and what he rides cause Ill snatch that up faster than a pussy gets fuucked.