cool head install questions

'04limited

i'm putting my engine back together right now and i'm at the head i got a new chariot performance head got all the o-rings in place and i went to put the head onto the cylinders it wont sit down flush on the cylinders theres a gap between the cylinders and the head.. i also noticed that the domes do not sit completely flush into the head are they supposed to? this is my first time messing with an aftermarket head so any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks...also there were no instructions with the head so im not sure if i have all the o-rings in the right places.. but they all seem right. thanks again. Tom

I have a Pro Design one I have not put on yet, nor have I ever dealt with it...

...but I did see grooves in it for where the Orings go, and I believe you're supposed to grease them.

I did a "mock" put together of my head, and it seemed pretty straight forward, and I believe everything was flush (at least the domes were flush w/ the head.)

I've never used the Chariot head, but I've installed a Noss head. If I remember right the domes did sit flush with the rest of the head on it. Like 05.Banshee.SE says put a little grease on your o-rings and make sure they are seated correctly. Maybe someone that is familiar with that type head can chime in.

i have a cool head that i just picked up and gonna put on the bike, i do believe everything needs to be pretty flush, i just ran down and looked at it and my dome might sit just a hair ( litteraly like a hair) above the rest of it, they are flush to the feel though. i didn't try pressing them in so i sure they will be when i clean it up and put it in. If they aren't i could deffantly see some potential leakage.

well like i said i put it on and it seemed to go on correctly but im still kinda worried but i guess i'll have to wait and see after i get it in the bike and fire it up? or is there another way to test and see if it will leak or not?

well like i said i put it on and it seemed to go on correctly but im still kinda worried but i guess i'll have to wait and see after i get it in the bike and fire it up? or is there another way to test and see if it will leak or not?

See if the local auto parts store has a cooling system pressure tester. You pretty much do the same thing as a leak down test only on the cooling system.

See if the local auto parts store has a cooling system pressure tester. You pretty much do the same thing as a leak down test only on the cooling system.

All domes are supposed to stick out .003 to .005 inches roughly. Any other heads which appear flush is probably just that appearance. The accepted tolerance is as stated bove .