hillbilly question

rkc

I'm a little reluctant to ask this question because of seemly inaneness of it, but here goes. Does the top of front shock pivot at all? In other words could I install it then weld it (top only) and expect it to function the same? Another picture in my head is if I drew a line through the center of the shock shaft past the top, would it stay on the same path or would it pivot downward? I don't have my front end together in order to get a visual while compressing the front end. And to answer one of the questions someone will ask...why? To turn a 450r shock 90 deg for passing the rezzie through the upper a arm.

Thanks fella's for your help. I used that welding scenario just for a example of function. To try to clear up what I'm cheaply trying to do is use some 2005 trx450r stock shocks I have to work with . Because the rezzies will wack the upper a arms I was thinking about mounting them with the rezzies pointed out to pass through the upper arm. Now that I know the shocks pivot at the top. I can't rework the top shock mounting bolts 90 deg from their stock position. So my next question, not knowing much about metal, could I cut the eye let off the top of the 450r shock and weld it at 90 deg. that way the rezzie would point outwards towards the banshee tire. Would a weld be strong enough on what I think is cast aluminum. Another problem might be a warning on the rezzie about not applying heat.

Edited by rkc

If you welded a shock without draining all the fluid first you would probably kill yourself. It would explode like a bomb.

Tks jj, I talked to a welder to day he said it would be no problem to weld the eye let back on the top of the shock at 90deg from its present position. Now all I have to do is figure out how to disassemble the shock and remove the bushing.

Tks jj, I talked to a welder to day he said it would be no problem to weld the eye let back on the top of the shock at 90deg from its present position. Now all I have to do is figure out how to disassemble the shock and remove the bushing.

dude thats alot of work thats gonna end up costing you the same amount as if you were to put your 450r shocks on ebay (they will sell anywhere from $150 to $200) i just sold a set for $175 + shipping.

then turn around and buy yourself a good set of yfz or i just bought some works triples for $100

doesnt make sense to do what you are trying to do!

just my opinion to each his own though.

later aaron

dude thats alot of work thats gonna end up costing you the same amount as if you were to put your 450r shocks on ebay (they will sell anywhere from $150 to $200) i just sold a set for $175 + shipping.

then turn around and buy yourself a good set of yfz or i just bought some works triples for $100

doesnt make sense to do what you are trying to do!

just my opinion to each his own though.

later aaron

tks aaron,

Time yes, welding shouldn't be much. That's a nice price you got on ebay I've seen sets go for under 50.00. The 16 1/2" eye to eye seems to get me really close on tie rod angles for less bump steer. How long are your works shocks eye to eye?