flywheel is stuuuuck

bry

Well what pullers did you use?

If you used teh right ones and they were on ALL the way you should have sprayed some penetrating fluid in there and let it sit over night then hit the puller with an impact full out and that bitch WILL come off.

how can you shatter a banshee puller? its basically a solid piece of steel with a bolt in the middle.......maybe strip threads but not shatter. you have to be using some universal puller or something

I have snapped mine off and had to saw it down 2 times by trying to impact it. Tighten it down real snug with a wrench, then hit it lightly and sharp with a hammer. I know they say never to beat on the flywheel, but you will just waste pullers if you don't.

Have you tried heat? Just watch that you dont get it so hot that you melt the epoxy off the stator or melt the crank seal. I've had them stuck on there good enough that I've had to weld the puller to the wheel and impact it off that way. Sucks, but gets it off.

- Jared

I had a woodruff key rock in the flywheel and bind against the collar of the flywheel and stick in place. Ruined 2 flywheel pullers trying to get it off (with PB Blaster). Figuring the flywheel wasn't going to survive I tried a 2 ton 3 jaw puller and didn't budge it (with a 1/2 breaker over and a 6 foot cheater). Tired to push flywheel back on a little (hoping I could get a little back and forth movement) with an impact and twisted the threaded stud off the end! Next I spit the cases, removed the bolts on the timing plate, removed the pistons, took the crank, flywheel stator and all to the shop and put it in our 20 ton press. Bent 2, 3/4" straps behind the flywheel and she didn't budge. Every step of the way we had heat on it. By this point the flywheel is f**ked anyway and maybe the crank. I ended up cutting the flywheel off with a band saw and a cutoff wheel. Now I am down to the collar still on the taper of the crankshaft. I had to cut through the key way and a little tap with a 6 oz hammer and it popped off! What a pain in the ass!

Fixed the crank in our lathe though. Faced off the front of the taper and drilled and tapped a whole and replaced the stud. What an odd size that was, M12 x 1.75 I think? Saved $400 for a crank but I did have to by a new flywheel. All for an air leak between the cases!

Just thought I'd share that since you brought up "not being able to remove a flywheel". I can sympathize!

SP

Edited by spurdy

I had a woodruff key rock in the flywheel and bind against the collar of the flywheel and stick in place. Ruined 2 flywheel pullers trying to get it off (with PB Blaster). Figuring the flywheel wasn't going to survive I tried a 2 ton 3 jaw puller and didn't budge it (with a 1/2 breaker over and a 6 foot cheater). Tired to push flywheel back on a little (hoping I could get a little back and forth movement) with an impact and twisted the threaded stud off the end! Next I spit the cases, removed the bolts on the timing plate, removed the pistons, took the crank, flywheel stator and all to the shop and put it in our 20 ton press. Bent 2, 3/4" straps behind the flywheel and she didn't budge. Every step of the way we had heat on it. By this point the flywheel is f**ked anyway and maybe the crank. I ended up cutting the flywheel off with a band saw and a cutoff wheel. Now I am down to the collar still on the taper of the crankshaft. I had to cut through the key way and a little tap with a 6 oz hammer and it popped off! What a pain in the ass!

Fixed the crank in our lathe though. Faced off the front of the taper and drilled and tapped a whole and replaced the stud. What an odd size that was, M12 x 1.75 I think? Saved $400 for a crank but I did have to by a new flywheel. All for an air leak between the cases!

Just thought I'd share that since you brought up "not being able to remove a flywheel". I can sympathize!

SP

then you have the guy's with there flywheels falling off while riding.talking about from one extreme to the other.most of the fly wheels i have dealt with have come off pretty easy but i have had my share of stubborn ones.if they don't come off easy i found that soaking them in a good penetrating fluid helps,and with the puller screwed all the way in and a couple karate chops it will be laying in the palm of your hand.usually the ones i had problems getting off had sheared flywheel keys and the flywheel spins on the crank blending the metals making them harder t o remove.