Nikasil Coating for Re-bored Cylinders

prossett

Hey guys - trying to decide whether to re-bore to 65.5mm or replace cylinders with new OEM.

Re-boring is cheaper, but how important is the Nikasil coating? Where I live in the Middle East re-boring does not in any way shape or form include any sort of fancy coating: it's just raw aluminium, and you hope it's at least done straight.

AFAIK, Nikasil is an coating on the cylinder wall that helps wear... my question is if I put my brand-new shiny pistons in a re-bored sleeve without any Nikasil coating, but I do the proper careful break-in procedures, will I be opening up the engine soon after to again replace the pistons?

If interested, Duncan Racing says: NIKASIL COATED CYLINDERS: If your cylinder has Nikasil or other chrome type plating on the bore surface it cannot be bored. A Nikasil coatings is a form of plating adhered to the inside of your aluminum cylinder to do away with the old style conventional steel sleeve designed cylinders. Many OEM MX bikes have these types of cylinders. As does many of Duncan Racings PC 2000 and Hyperdyne ATV cylinders.

When replacing piston and or rings in a cylinder of this type, it is advisable to deglaze bore with a Ball Hone. Use some form of lubricant when honing. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER TYPE OF HONE OR CYLINDER DAMAGE COULD RESULT.

Consult a professional if you have any reservations regarding the above information.

(http://www.duncanracing.com/techfaq/Tech_2-stroke-top-end-assembly.phtml)

What kind of cylinders to you have that are Nikasil Coated? Stock yamaha cylinders are not coated.

The Cub Cylinder uses a Nikasil Coating. I dont think that if you ran an aluminum cyinder with aluminum pistons it would hold up very good. It would run but how long who knows. I tore appart a Briggs and Straton lawn mower engine and that is what it had Aluminum cylinder with aluminum piston. It also has crank case oil, where the banshee doesnt. The only oil it gets is the oil you put in with the fuel. You would probably be lucky to make it a tank of fuel or two.

What kind of cylinders to you have that are Nikasil Coated? Stock yamaha cylinders are not coated.

In that case I have wrong info and you saved me a lot of hassle and $$$... always got to double-check what shops tell you, especially when just a generation ago the guy would have been selling three-legged camels: "this one champion runner - very good 3 legs - each leg same two, so this camel have 6 legs, good, no?" :confused:

So, then banshee stock cylinders are cast iron and not aluminium? And therefore re-boring is no problem at all. Actually, they do look like aluminium to me... what are they made of?

Got to tell you guys this forum is a lifesaver already - thanks!