After porting

Ok so Im have all the mods in my sig... well the porting is being done right now and I have to get the crank welded and order the new timing plate, so almost done, but I had a question. Is there any thing I can do to make more power over what I have, without having to get new cylinders and pull the motor apart again. I know I can go with a dune port, but is there anything else. Maybe running alky, cuz I haven't ordered my carbs yet so I could order alky carbs, but I think I may want more power and I think I've reached my limits with out replacing the cylinders. The only reason why im not going with this option in the first place is my cylinders are in the shop right now, the guy hasnt touched them yet, but I think that would be kinda of messed up just to cancel

Does the builder need the crank to do this because I dont have the money right now and I can change what porting but the builder will be getting to my cylinders in a couple days. Theyre sitting in the shop

The builder, if he is a reputable builder, doesn't need the crank to port the cylinders. He should be able to set up the cylinders according to your wants with the 4mill.

He is familiar with the banshee how much idk, the guy i took it to does like any kind of engine that doesnt belong in a car, so Im almost thinking of seeing about cancelling and sending out to someone cuz i dont have the $ right not to get a crank itll be another month or so, but isnt that kinda messed up to just cancel

There are a lot of things you can do....up to and including after market cylinders and bigger cranks.

two things stand in your way.

1. Budget

2. Type of riding and where.

Once you figure those out, you can do pretty much anything.

The guy you took it to...you don't know how much he knows about banshee engines...and likes to work on anything but a car engine?

That's not who I'd want touching my cylinders. Tell him to stick to lawn mowers...unless you're going to test his work and don't mind possibly ruining a set of cylinders. It's not real easy to get good power of them.

It's very easy to ruin them.

Edited by dajogejr

another thing to think of its easy to swap cylinders its harder to swap a crank. So if you want more power and might want future mods. you would be better off to put the crank that you want in there first than doing the port work. then in the future if you decide to up grade cylinders and such you already have a solid bottom end.

He is familiar with the banshee how much idk, the guy i took it to does like any kind of engine that doesnt belong in a car, so Im almost thinking of seeing about cancelling and sending out to someone cuz i dont have the $ right not to get a crank itll be another month or so, but isnt that kinda messed up to just cancel

Run to your car, fly down there as fast as you can and get your cylinders back, as others have posted, if he just "works on any engine that doesn't go in a car", I would never let him touch my motor. Port timing and duration on a banshee is crucial, at best you might just get back a motor that makes little to no more horsepower, and at worst, you might be buying new cylinders.

Just to reiterate what all the others have said. I am a mechanic by trade, as are many of the guys on here. If its mechanical, I can fix it. There is more to porting then that. If you want to give the guy experience at porting a banshee, that's one thing. If you want a good strong running port job take it to someone who already has the experience.

Don't feel bad about going and taking them away from him. I did that exact thing when I decided to do the 4mil over the stock crank after asking some questions of the the shop that was doing the work. They just didn't have the right answers for port timings, spacer pate, which pistons and which domes. The answers just didn't make me feel comfortable with they're experience level. So, I just made up a story that I had sold those jugs as is and was going to build another motor that I had purchased off ebay. No hard feelings, just doing something different.

Good luck,

SP

Thanks bro. A couple people I trust recommended me to him, and when I talked to him he was familiar with the banshee and when I said I wanted an agressive trail port he knew exactly what I was talking about and said when he ports it he is going to raise the exhaust ports so it is recomended that I run a higher compression head and I said I was going to run a NOSS or a Pro-design and he said that will work. So he seems to know what he is doing, but he is not just banshee's, he has been doing all kinds of small engines, mostly MX and drag bikes, but a friend of mine had is shee cylinders fixed like a week before me by this guy and he said he has delt with banshee's before, and I figured since all he does really is MX and drag bikes mostly 2-strokes he should be able to do a good job after 20+ years, but my main concern and reasoning for starting this post was because I didnt think there was anything that could be done after me getting it ported except going with a dune port, with out going to a 4mil or cub set up