Can i take my bottme case off and leave the top

just take the top end off. its gonna take you a lot longer to get the pistons back in the cylinders that way. youll need like 3 sets of hands. i know i wouldnt try it like that. i wouldnt wanna risk fuckin something up. and yea, what seals you need to replace? also, you arent gonna just pull the bottom out. youll end up having it flat on a bench and taking the top half off.

Yamabond #4 for re-sealing.

I did exactly this (thanks Walter for the advice on it, too) a few months ago to swap out gear clusters but didn't want to rip the whole engine apart. Flip the engine on its head (literally), pull the case bolts from the bottom and top, and pull the bottom of the case off. If you need to replace the seal behind the main gear, you're going to almost certainly need an impact wrench to get the nut off of the crank on that side.

Yeah, flywheel/stator/timing plate have to come off. They will hold the case together otherwise. Make sure and user a proper flywheel puller (NOT a jaw-type) to get it off, and the rest is just basic hand tools. As was mentioned, there is a small half-moon shaped piece you gotta take off. It tends to be missed :). I circled it in red in this pic of my clutch-side.

moonbracket.jpg