Who has a Vapor speedo/tach?

NN2

I got a vapor to put on my shee and it worked fine the first few rides but it is now cutting out during high RPM's. Basically it's as if the internal battery was removed and then put back in. Everything lights up and resets. I've tried another new vapor unit also and it's doing the same thing. I called Trail Tech and was told that this is a common problem with Banshees and Raptors because of high vibration causing the battery to vibrate loose momentarily. So I put foam below the battery cap to help hold the battery tight and also put foam between the back of the vapor and aluminum mount(as instructed by Trail Tech). I took it down a stretch of paved road a few times and it cuts out right after I shift into 4th. I've tried to roll in the throttle and been hard in the throttle and it doesn't do it until I hit 4th. Just doesn't make sense to me. Sorry for the long post but figured if anyone could help they would need to know the whole situation. Thanks for any help.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

You ever get anything figured out. I just got mine put on and it is doing the same thing. It is not because of vibrations. I unbolted it from my dash held it in my hand and reved it. It cut out or rest. I unpluged the power cord so it was running on battery only reved it in my hand and it didnt cut out. Bolted to the dash and reved it it didnt cut out. So somethig with the ac power is doing it.

Try unpluging the power cord and take it for a rip down the street. I bet it doesnt cut out. Mine didnt.

I am going to call trail tech tomarrow and see what they say.

josh

You ever get anything figured out. I just got mine put on and it is doing the same thing. It is not because of vibrations. I unbolted it from my dash held it in my hand and reved it. It cut out or rest. I unpluged the power cord so it was running on battery only reved it in my hand and it didnt cut out. Bolted to the dash and reved it it didnt cut out. So somethig with the ac power is doing it.

Try unpluging the power cord and take it for a rip down the street. I bet it doesnt cut out. Mine didnt.

I am going to call trail tech tomarrow and see what they say.

josh

from what I have lerned if you hook it up to a 9volt battery and not your stator you will not have any more issues and the 9volt will last over a year.

i have to of these on two differnt quads and mine did the same thing, when you reved it up it would reset. called trail tech and they said to get a new battery. looks likea watch batery the number i beleve is cr2032 got mine at an auto part store, but radio shack or kmart or target any electronic store will have it.. after i changed batery it fixed the problem

i have to of these on two differnt quads and mine did the same thing, when you reved it up it would reset. called trail tech and they said to get a new battery. looks likea watch batery the number i beleve is cr2032 got mine at an auto part store, but radio shack or kmart or target any electronic store will have it.. after i changed batery it fixed the problem

Was the low battery light on. Mine does it both when I rev it in Neutral and While riding. By banshee is drag ported so not reving it isnt an option. About the highest Rpm I have recoreded was 8000 rpm.

I will call them and see what they say. I will try the new battery too.

josh

Trail tech said this is a common issue with banshee's so I put foam in with the battery to hopefully keep it from vibrating. Didn't work. I keep procrastinating in sending it to trail tech. Just too lazy to box it up, take to P.O. I guess. First I've heard of the 9v battery thing though. Maybe I'll try that first. It seems more like a power issue rather than the vibration. Trail tech did tell me to send it to them because they have a different isolation design for the battery. Whatever.

Trail tech said this is a common issue with banshee's so I put foam in with the battery to hopefully keep it from vibrating. Didn't work. I keep procrastinating in sending it to trail tech. Just too lazy to box it up, take to P.O. I guess. First I've heard of the 9v battery thing though. Maybe I'll try that first. It seems more like a power issue rather than the vibration. Trail tech did tell me to send it to them because they have a different isolation design for the battery. Whatever.

Unplug the power cable so the vapor is just running on the interal battery. I bet it doesnt do it then. Mine didnt. It is deffinatly a power issue and not a vibration issue. When I talked to trail tech they said to do the 9volt battery. They said anymore that is what the recomned for banshee's, and any other motorcycle that doesnt have a battery, just an ac lighting coil.

josh

i was wrong the new battery didnt fix it, it still dones it when i ride it. so i tried the 9v battery idea and it does the same thing, rev it up and it resets. i had these for 2 years and no problems, the only thing i have changed since, is i advanced my timing on both bikes 4 degrees. i wonder if changing the timing does something to it? im totaly dissconected from the systems power, so if i took care of that issue maybe its a vibration problem after all? watever it is its annoying, im leaving on a trip tomorrow for a week and its gonna suck if i cant use it at all for temp readings or tach. products are just turing to crap, not much testing in certain feilds that should be done. like this for instance

Stators/alternators in general can generate a lot of high frequency electrical noise and pass it down through all the power circuits. Spark plugs aren't very quiet either, you ever listen to an AM station in your car and nail the throttle? You can hear the spark plug noise in the AM static and hear the static change tone with your RPMs. So one thing it could be is this noise resetting the microprocessor in the Vapor unit. I sure hope that Trail Tech filters the incoming power in these units and noise tested them before they started selling them. I work at a small electrical engineering firm and one of the products we designed for a customer had a problem in the field where the microprocessor would randomly reset. It turned out to be a nearby cell tower. I would be curious to know if putting a ferrite choke on the power wires that go to the Vapor unit would solve the problem.

Edited by tgbanshee

Would a small capacitor help even out the the voltage change or frequency? I am not a electronics man by any means.

josh

You could use a capacitor and fashion a low pass filter to filter out the high freq stuff but that is more trouble than it's worth. Using a ferrite choke, you don't even have to cut into the wires. Here is picture of what one looks like:

pRS1C-2265709w345.jpg

I can't say for sure if that will solve the problem but it is worth a shot.

Here is a link to one on Radio Shack's site: Ferrite Choke

All you do is snap it over the wires and you are done. If it is too loose and can slide up and down on the wires, you can pass the wires through and then loop them around the outside and pass them through again and wrap a zip tie around it. I know it probably sounds like smoke and mirrors but these really do work and are used a lot in computer equipment, that is exactly what the big round plastic bulge in the end of your computer monitor cable right before the connector is. If anybody tries this out and it does indeed fix the problem, please let me know so I can pass it on to Trail Tech.

Edited by tgbanshee