FUEL INJECTION

MRD used to make a mechanical fuel injection kit for a Banshee. I am not sure if they still do.

If you are willing to go to a DC electrical system with a battey then Haltech, Motech, PE, or dare I say a DIY Megasquirt kit can be very easily done. Special attention would need to be paid when selecting injectors, but I suspect something from the outboard marine industry could be found fairly reasonably.

FYI: The latter is a project that is beyond a majority of the populous's ability. If you are willing to deal with the frustration involved in learning new things and having your bike out of commision while you are doing it, then it's a neat project. :geek:

• 1 year later...
MRD used to make a mechanical fuel injection kit for a Banshee. I am not sure if they still do.

If you are willing to go to a DC electrical system with a battey then Haltech, Motech, PE, or dare I say a DIY Megasquirt kit can be very easily done. Special attention would need to be paid when selecting injectors, but I suspect something from the outboard marine industry could be found fairly reasonably.

FYI: The latter is a project that is beyond a majority of the populous's ability. If you are willing to deal with the frustration involved in learning new things and having your bike out of commision while you are doing it, then it's a neat project. :geek:

Would injectors from a cbr600rr work?

I use megasquirt for my race car, amazing system for the price. I thought about putting one on my banshee, but mine is pretty much totally stock, and I think it would lead to more problems than it would solve. But its very tempting to say the least. I think that before I spent hundreds on a bigger carb setup, that I would go with the an EFI unit. I think that a 2 into one manifold, with an injector at each port, and one throttle body would be they way to go. Not sure though.

the problem with retro fitting a kit is your going to most likely spend lots of $ trying to find the right injectors and throttle body to run on your setup do lots of research and try to find somone who has already done it before and talk them into doing it unless you got lots of $ for R&D if thats the case tear into it it would be a fun project but be careful what you do

the problem with retro fitting a kit is your going to most likely spend lots of $ trying to find the right injectors and throttle body to run on your setup do lots of research and try to find somone who has already done it before and talk them into doing it unless you got lots of $ for R&D if thats the case tear into it it would be a fun project but be careful what you do

Throttle bodies are not like carbs. The sizing of carbs is needed to maintain velocity over the venturi, but not so much that you choke off the bike. With throttle bodies, you can go as big as you want. If you go too big, the bike will be very hard to control because you will have little throttle gradient, and will go WOT with just a small crack of the big throttle body. If you go to small, you choke it off. We know that 35mm -38mm works on alot of bigger bikes. Size a throttle body in that area and you will be fine. With EFI you always go lightly bigger with the throttle body and injectors. You can grow into both, but if you go small, you will choke the engine off, and over duty cycle the injectors.

There are known formula for both injectors and throttle bodies, but going with what we know works with carbs is a good start point, and size injectors based off of current production EFI machines of similar CC (snowmobiles, bikes...............).

The throttle body on my drag car is 105mm, I can make a fist and stick it into this TB, no carb on the planet that big would run on my car, but its fine with the EFI.

• 4 weeks later...
If you haven't seen my post I am in the process of having my bike converted to FI. JSR Performance along with Gigot racing are the 2 companies working on this. They have had FI for the Banshee for some time but had a hard time finding a supplier for the fuel pumps. They found a fuel pump and are now working on building kits. Mine I hope to have finished tuned and running by 2nd or 3rd week of Feb. of course I am using E85 Ethanol so I can keep my high compression but the system will work with Pump gas, race gas or alcohol. I am not sure of the brand of ECU they are using but Kevin at Gigot racing hs spent countless hours and years working on the perfection of the fuel injection. He was also the first one to help tune the original turbo banshee's from back in the day so he knows the ins and outs of getting a Banshee to run with fuel injection.

One other modification that is needed is you need a 200Watt stator converted to DC power. This is an easy mod you just need a stator that has 2 outputs and the proper rectifier to charge a battery.

Kevin is probably using a Motec ECM. Atleast that was the last thing he was into the last time I talked to him about it. I was supposed to hook him up with a skool mate from PE, but I think I wnaked out and forgot.......... :sweat:

• 9 years later...