foredom porting tools

I want to start doing a little porting and I need to find some good porting tools. I want be doing a whole lot of porting but hopefully a few cylinders a year. Need some advice about what bits and acceseries I will need and also a good place to get them or if I could get some used ones from someone

A little porting?? Hey! just go and buy yourself a fair collection of small files.. NO power tools (yet) you can ruin a cyl in seconds with those things.. not for beginners..... AND ...find Gordon Jenning's "2stroke tuner's Handbook" then Read the thing untill you've almost memorised it.

Then think about 'attacking' a cylinder.

Porting is a V skilled excercise .. more than a few Pro tuners are errr.. not v good at it.

Any fool can hog out a port.. which often does v little good at all. Calculating the transfer port angles as the exit into the cylinder is serious work.. and carving then accurately take years of actual experience... with likely dozens of wrecked cyls in the process.

Realy wanna do it ?.. Read the literature, all you can get your hands on.. buy only hand tools and practice a lot..... have fun.

Edited by fredd2510

Ebay Put in Fordom. There is useally some good prices on there, and some decent knockoffs that will do a good job. You need a high torque motor that turns up to 20,000 rpm's. You prolly won't use it at that rpm much but when sanding it nice.

Then put carbid bits in and look there. Lots of choices. You will need several different shapes. Also a few 6inch long to get into the transfers. I have both double cut and single cut. Double cut seam to take it out faster, clogs up more, single cut leaves the surface rougher(could be the shape I am using). A little penatrant or WD4o will keep the clogging down.

Also when you are cutting aluminum dont bear down hard and use high speed. (That is where the high torque motor come in) The grinding makes lots of heat and you can acually liqufy the metal and it make a hard spot that become harder to take off.

In the reading department also read

A Graham Bell book Two-Stroke Performance Tuning ISBN 1859606199

John Robinson book Motorcycle Tuning Two-Stroke ISBN 075061806X

Take it slow you will be learning a lot in a short time

You will make power opening up the intake. You will make more and better power opening up, and getting the angle of the incoming gasses right, on the transfers. You will alway make more power moving the exhaust port up. But it moves the power-band up. So you can screw up a cylinder real fast. Also another thing to think about is you need to port to your pipe. The rpm range the pipes are made for.

Now if I have got something wrong in anything here I am sure someone will jump right in and correct it. :rolleyes:

Good Luck

foredom are decent, but youll need a right angle hand wand for transfer work ,these are rare and i was told they stopped making that style wand years ago for the foredom ,you will need it !so research that really good ...before yo u buy a kit for 400$ my 2 cents

Boy what was I thinking. After all that I wrote I forgot to tell ya about the 90 degree grinder for the transfers. Go to www.ccspecialtytool.com and look at their tools. Real top notch stuff. Just be ready to spend some bucks.

However when I look at their motor I still think Fordom makes it for them. If that is true then the CC Specialty stuff should or could fit the fordom.

Boy what was I thinking. After all that I wrote I forgot to tell ya about the 90 degree grinder for the transfers. Go to www.ccspecialtytool.com and look at their tools. Real top notch stuff. Just be ready to spend some bucks.

However when I look at their motor I still think Fordom makes it for them. If that is true then the CC Specialty stuff should or could fit the fordom.

yeah cc are the best but they are so much more than everything else ,,thing better not burn up in 6 months either. i dont think the foredom and cc are interchangeable and like i said the foredom stopped making the micro right angle wand which is pretty much the whole reason to buy one.

I have had the A Graham Bell 2 stroke performance tuning book and I read it thoroughly. Its very insightful even for simple modifications. I was told by a buddy of mine that foredom and ccspecialties were compatible but I'm not sure. I think that starting out I can in no way expect to do as good as work as FAST or PASSION. However I do believe that I will be able to do reliable good and clean work. I hoping that if I find a set of tools I will be able to get started soon because I got some extra stock cylinders. Thanks for the info.

i port large scare RC Car and Boat motors...Go-Peds as well...

but using a good dremel(not the homedepot shelf bought ones) and a decent flax-shaft with a chuck collet you should beable to port motors...just order bits with longer shanks... its a custom order but those will work as well...

and for hitting the spots that are usually hit by the right angle cutters, well you just gotta learn new angles or learn to send the bit thru the top or bottom of the cylinder and cut your port...

yea eaiser said than done, and a little more time concuming, but a good motor builder could build a motor with a dremel or a CNC just maters on your paitence, and knowledge.

a steady hand with a good hand stroke wouldnt hurt either.

read up before you touch a cylinder...just like everyone else said...

foredom tools are great!They do offer 2 different styles of right angle grinders(#55,#55A),but they are for very light work,plus youll need a special latch type burr to use in them...CC specialtys 1MC handpiece is probibly the route you wanna go for right angle grinder,ive got 2,and put alot of hours on the first one i got and still runs smooth as silk.

• 1 month later...

I don't know if they still carry the stuff, but Rio Grande jewlers supply is where I got most of my porting tools. There used to a section at their web site(www.riogrande.com) where you could buy used or demo tools. That's where I got my right angle handpiece. It's a must for opening up & changing transfer ports. DO NOT open up the intake ports! I have had several buddies who have done this alone as the only port mod & and after full port jobs with a dyno test before & after and it makes no horsepower diff. The only thing you will accomplish is slowing down your throttle response. Reshaping around them to help the flow into them will help throttle response though. The biggest deficiency in the Banshee ports is the transfers. Look at how much volume in the transfer updrafts was lost when they sandwhiched those two cylinders together. Match porting the cases to the cylinders transfers and then narrowing the divider between the transfers updrafts will make a difference. When cutting the exhaust port you have to be careful not to go too high or too wide. Too high will get you a high RPM narrow power band with no bottom end. Too wide will cause the rings and or the pistons to go too far into the exhaust port. This will either wear out rings prematurely or break them. A good rule of thumb is no wider than 70% of bore diameter. No port height adjustments should be made without using a degree wheel to measure port timing first. You should also know what type of pipes you are planning to use first.

I.E. mid range or top end. Do your homework and know how to use a degree wheel, know what port timing is and what blow down is. Also, keep in mind that when you raise the exhaust port you loose compression and you will need to do something with the head to regain compression. If you're willing to accept that it takes trial & error to learn porting it is very rewarding to tweak your own engine and make it rip. Be very wary of using the port duration charts in A.Graham Bell's book, they can get you into trouble fast. Hope this info. helps. If I could, that's all I would do is cut ports & play with 2-strokes. Long live the 2-stroke!!! All of them.

• 1 year later...
yeah cc are the best but they are so much more than everything else ,,thing better not burn up in 6 months either. i dont think the foredom and cc are interchangeable and like i said the foredom stopped making the micro right angle wand which is pretty much the whole reason to buy one.

:cool: Our TXMC motor is from Foredom, so they are interchangable. The TXMC is the same motor as Foredoms TX series and both will use the same shaft(#93) and sheath (#77). Our's comes standard with the metal SXR1 foot control where as Foredom comes standard with the plastic foot control. Our price is $310.00 for the TXMC.We have three different right angle handpieces. Our smallest is the #182mc that must be used with the long adapter that will attatch to the #93 inner shaft. Our most popular is the #1mc which also uses left hand carbide which are for backwards rotation (left hand rotation). We sell this handpiece ten to one compared to the others. The cost for that one is $335.00. The largest is the #3mc which is has a head length of 2inches and head diameter of 7/8". The costs is $558.00. We sell very few of these due to the costs and the size. We repair all handpieces and motors and also offer carbide resharpening to our customers. Hope this helps answer questions. We also offer 10% discount to first time kit buyers. Lots of love from Tennessee! :blush:

You have to have a right angle handpeice to do banshee transfer ports properly, especially if transfer roof and entry angle control means anything to you. And that's all there is to it!

Plenty of places sell tooling for porting... Jeweler supply/mould and die supply, etc. sell Fordom or Foredom style motors and flexshafts... If nothing else, do yourself a favor and get your initial carbide burrs from CC Specialty. They know what you need and sell tooling specific to what your wanting to do. There is a carbide quality difference... It is usually less painfull to only cry once! IMHO anyway...

I want to start doing a little porting and I need to find some good porting tools. I want be doing a whole lot of porting but hopefully a few cylinders a year. Need some advice about what bits and acceseries I will need and also a good place to get them or if I could get some used ones from someone

I am not aware of any "comprehensive" books or videos available individually, however the instructional pages within the program (as well as included paperwork) you get when you purchase the TSR Port 2000 program will answer any questions you should have. Unfortunately, it will also lighten your wallet several hundred dollars...

Short of that, probably the best individual book I have read would be A. Graham Bell's 2-Stroke Tuning. Is is IMHO, not very comprehensive and pretty well dated (I think it was first published back in the 70's or something). It does contain a lot of good 2-stroke info though and can probably be had for less than $30. There are other books I have seen mentioned on this site that I am not familiar with, try some of them maybe???

If you are an SAE member and find it "relaxing" calculating the geometry and force requirements of various body parts performing daily functions... Purchase Dr. Gordon Blairs original 2-stroke papers submitted to the Society Of Automotive Engineers. It's a real "put you to sleep" read. Also several hundred bucks...

Edited by deckheight