ballance crank?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...
because you true it to .002 doesnt mean that both sides of the crank are exactly the same weight,what is when one side is 1 gram heavier?

Sorry to bring up an old topic but does anyone have anymore info on this topic? this was all i could find and i want to get mine welded real soon.

Cheers

when you wled the crank the amount of metal put on the webbing is not enough to worry about throwing your crank off. when you need to re-true it is when you rebuild it. just welding it you will be fine

edit: that is assuming its not off right now.

Edited by Bansh-eman

my experience with cranks is this. true and weld is to make tdc and bdc exactly 180 degrees apart on a twin. Then weld the web so it does not come apart.

Balance is to put the crank in a device and remove any uneven occilations from it as a rotating assembly.

I had my old Banshee hot rod long rod crank done by these guys. They lightened, trued, welded, and balanced it for me.

Falicon Cranks Link

my experience with cranks is this. true and weld is to make tdc and bdc exactly 180 degrees apart on a twin. Then weld the web so it does not come apart.

Balance is to put the crank in a device and remove any uneven occilations from it as a rotating assembly.

I had my old Banshee hot rod long rod crank done by these guys. They lightened, trued, welded, and balanced it for me.

Falicon Cranks Link

There is absolutely no reason to balance a Banshee crank! (noy to say I have not done it for fun)

However trueing is absolutely necessary.

Falicon is a good company for such things, but others can certainly do the same work. On a personal rant, Falicon has terrible leas times and have several employees on the customer side of things that fill you up full of BS. They do make some neato cranks for the privateer super bike racing and drag racing folks. :wink:

I did it all through my engine guy who is a friend of mine that I ride with and hang out with. He sent it to falicon and handled talking to them. I definitely felt like I got my money's worth when it was done. The crank was considerably lighter than before it went in, the bike revved very fast, and the engine ran very smooth.

I think the terms "balance" and "true" are getting confused. They are NOT one in the same. Truing refers to axial and radial alignment of the crank. Balancing refers to adding or subtracting weight to obtain a "balanced" rotating mass. Balancing is not common on the Banshee but standard practice in many other engine applications. Theoretically, yes, the weld itself can and will cause balance problems regardless if fillers are used or not. After the fact though, I see no way to check or repair the balance of the crank when welded.

In regards to the banshee, just properly truing the crank generally puts the balance close enough that it does not matter. We have seen countless new cranks that are welded up but trued VERY poorly. We have returned plenty because .006-.009" is just toooo much runout and your handlebars will agree.

Brandon

I think the terms "balance" and "true" are getting confused. They are NOT one in the same. Truing refers to axial and radial alignment of the crank. Balancing refers to adding or subtracting weight to obtain a "balanced" rotating mass. Balancing is not common on the Banshee but standard practice in many other engine applications. Theoretically, yes, the weld itself can and will cause balance problems regardless if fillers are used or not. After the fact though, I see no way to check or repair the balance of the crank when welded.

In regards to the banshee, just properly truing the crank generally puts the balance close enough that it does not matter. We have seen countless new cranks that are welded up but trued VERY poorly. We have returned plenty because .006-.009" is just toooo much runout and your handlebars will agree.

Brandon

Thanks for clarifying things Brandon. What you say is right.

Brandon

....................beyond that on a 180 degree opposed firing twin, such as the Banshee engine, there is not any reason to balance the crankshaft. Each portion of the crankshaft related to the pins and arms can be really out of balance with respect to each other and the engine will still be fine, but the crank has to be true. If the crank isn't true and parallel it won't matter how well balance it might be. :geek: