What would cause one side to warm up faster?

Hellacious

Ok. Havent got around to messing with the air/ fuel screws today but I'm going to try that asap. I did walk out and start it up while ago so could see the smoking more from one side that I was talking about, the side thats smoking more is also the side thats heating up faster. This was a relatively cold start. I say "relatively" because my older brother wanted to see it run about an hour eariler....but even then, it only ran for a minute if that.

http://youtu.be/4s495vRBio0

Edited by Hellacious

IMO it could be one or more of 4 components.

Carbs. Out of sync by either the idle/air screws, jets, or throttle cable. (considering both carbs are squeaky clean). If the jets and air screws are matched, I highly recommend a carb sync tool if you're not 100% sure the cables are perfect. The slides may appear to be moving at the same rate, but they can still be off enough to cause this problem. A carb sync tool will tell you the rate of flow through the carb, ensuring both sides are drawing equally.

Ignition. Possible wire going bad, plug fouled out, or coil simply crapping out. Make sure you have fresh plugs and try swapping the plug wires to see if the problem switches sides. If you have fresh plugs and the problem does not move when you swap wires, then you can eliminate the ignition.

Air supply. If you're running a single filter then this doesn't apply, but if you run dual filters, one could be dirtier than the other causing one side to be rich, thus causing the cylinder to be flooded and not allowing it to build heat. Pull off both filters and start the bike and see if the problem still exists to eliminate this possibility.

Compression. If one side is significantly lower, it won't ignite all the fuel and will run rich, not allowing the cylinder to build heat. Run a compression test.

Typically it's one of the first 3 mentioned, most commonly the first. Most people can tell when it's compression due to the significant loss in power though...You "could" have a leaking head, but in that case, you'd also have a sweet smelling exhaust and notice your coolant missing. No one's mentioned that so I didn't consider it to be a factor.

Once i evened the turns on my air/fuel screws it still didnt correct my problem. Right side is still warming up like usual and left side is still pretty much cold. This thing is really getting on my nerves. Sometimes it will actually look as if the left side isnt doing anything at all. I switched the plug wires and it still did the same thing on the same side, so I'm assuming that eliminates the possibility of an electrical problem. I pulled the reeds yesterday afternoon and they looked brand new, didn't notice any wear what so ever. When I was in the carb, the ONLY thing I didnt check and clean was the pilot jets. I didnt pull them because I didn't have a flathead small enough to get down in there. Gonna try to get in there right now. Cant do a compression test or a leakdown because I dont have the tools. I should have a compression guage here shortly though, ordered one last night...and I'm going to try and put together a leak down tester soon. When I synced the carbs I did it by eye, the slides are moving at the exact same time and all the adjustments are the same(other than if something is weird with the pilots of course). I hope I can get this figured out and it's something simple...It's really starting to piss me off.....Well, about to go take everything apart again. :shootself: