Pro Builder Tips & Tricks

So, I'm finally putting my Passion motor together and I want no corners cut. The bike is a TT/ Ice setup with Jim's 4mil 12 port. I made sure to get new everything from cases to the spark plugs.

Just wondering if I should window my pistons (weiseco) or just leave them alone. I have the tools to it. Is there anything out of the ordinary that I should check/inspect. What I'm looking for are those little tricks pros have done that 90% of the at home garage guys will never hear about. For instance. After talking with Jim I was informed that an un mentioned factor in clutch side crank failure is a potential micro air leak through the woodruff key for the primary/water pump gears. Told me a little Permatex Ultra Grey on assembly will insure longer bearing life and easier to tune.

Also, step torque the head in small increments BEFORE torqueing the base nuts. Especially for stock jug, Athena, or guys running any multi cylinder motor. This should help with better more even squish and keep things ultra true.

Weird one I have been doing on any machined mating surface. I like to fix fine grit sand paper to a piece of glass and touch things up ever so slightly.

If any one has some cool custom tools, fixtures, motor stands, etc. post it up. Special assembly procedures or tricks to get things to line up or go together nice and easy. Anything like that

a few things i do-

grease seals before install, especially the crank seals.

seal the key on the crank

loctite on the crank nut and clutch basket nut and tighten both with an impact.

grease the rod and ball and clutch pusher

grease the clutch arm bearing

put a little oil in the crank bearings through their oil holes before top end install.

i like a soft scotch brite pad to clean gasket surfaces while i have them in the parts washer.

I have also heard of guys putting a dab of Loctite or Yamabond on the crank bearings to keep the outter race from spinning/wobbling in the cases.(especially the cranks that have no pins on the bearing races) Good or bad?

they should have orings for that. if they dont then maybe.

I have also heard of guys putting a dab of Loctite or Yamabond on the crank bearings to keep the outter race from spinning/wobbling in the cases.(especially the cranks that have no pins on the bearing races) Good or bad?

I've done this in the past, but you have to be very careful on the amount you use so you don't get the shit up into the bearings...

- Jared

I also like to use copper gasket spray (I believe it's by permatex) on all the gaskets. While it may not make them easy to remove and reuse (if your one of the reuse guys) but it helps to seal any SLIGHT irregularities in the mating surfaces. Is more of a precautionary type stuff than anything else....

Also.....most know this and do this but you should lube all your rotating assembly parts with either 2stroke oil or assembly lube. And also soak new clutch fibers in the fluid your going to run before install......they swell very slightly.

Yeah that copper spray is killer! No one should be reusing gaskets in my opinion anyway. That stuff was the only thing that kept the big bore motor in my Sig from leaking. TDR gave me some pretty good stuff too. It is called Toyota Seal Packing. It is basically their extreme version of permatex for the assembly line.

So, how bout these pistons? Should I do some work on the Windows? Like I said, I have all the tools necassary to do it. I have honestly never ran Weisco pistons but the window just seem so small. No comparison when next to my old WSM pistons.

So, how bout these pistons? Should I do some work on the Windows? Like I said, I have all the tools necassary to do it. I have honestly never ran Weisco pistons but the window just seem so small. No comparison when next to my old WSM pistons.

ask Jim!

probably talking about adding the window that lines up with the boost port. I guess its supposed to help keep the top bearing oiled.

I don't think there's enough gain to warrant the hassle.

you spend a lot of time questioning rather than researching jereme.

ask Jim!

Man, I sure wish I could! Jim sort of keeps ya on a need to know basis. You get a phone call when he starts your motor work, then you get a call when its done. That's it. If you forget to ask a question, the likelyhood of getting in touch with him again is slim to none. He did give me a check list for parts combination, assembly, and tune up. So I'm not hating on him, he's just a busy guy. From what I understand, he has another job as well. I sure wish his communication was a little better.

For now I'll just leave the intake Windows alone. They seem a little small to me, but I do want to do a little testing down the road