Project frame chop

domestic_beotch

So trickedcarbine had to mention this frame mod that another member did and I instantly knew I had to do one. So we went down to Komisar motorsports and got me a doner frame to start cutting up. Sweet deal, $130 for a OEM REPLACEMEMT frame. We looked at the geometry of several frames and tried to think of the easiest way to modify the frame with only the current steel structure provided on the frame. This meant we had to cut the parts off the nose in a way that would allow us to reuse each part, however with different placement for a little bit better geometry. The key aspect of the build was to show that not only is it possible to change the stocker, (that has been done already)but that it can be done with minimal tools, fab skills, and material, wich all adds up to a fairly easy DIY modification. Obviously everyone and their brother would love an outlaw, protrax, or even a frame like evan(358banshee) is building. No tubing benders, notchers, or high dollar tools other then the welder(sorry). But with a decent mig(tig prefered) and a cut off wheel you can do this in a garage.

Ill start with the stock pics and go from there.

IMG_6936.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

Here is after cutting it apart

IMG_2925.jpg

IMG_7061.jpg

After cutting the center sections out and grinding a lot!

IMG_3249.jpg

IMG_7858.jpg

Pieced back together

IMG_9321.jpg

IMG_2948.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_5703.jpg

IMG_7682.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

I know everyone doesnt have a Outdoor sand blaster but I do so I blasted it. Did some other welds and a couple gussets.

IMG_7997.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

Cut and extended a stock steering stem so it would reach the lower bearing location and be 2" taller

IMG_7393.jpg

IMG_7351.jpg

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

Front plastic mounts re attached. All un needed brackets were also removed. Coil mount was moved too as I planned on moving the radiator behind the steering stem but it wasnt really fitting.

IMG_9139.jpg

IMG_6387.jpg

IMG_4884.jpg

More pics this weekend. Its in powder coat right now. Please no PM's just reply to the post and I'm not looking to do this to everyones frame:( sry but I don't have tons of time with a full time job. Its low because it will be set up for ice and I'll need some long shocks in the spring.

it looks a little weak where the base of the frame connects to the a-arm part

also have you check the a-arm motion yet?

There is a plate that runs on the bottom of the rebuilt section tieing in to the un-modified section. There is also a pair of gussets on each side. kinda boxes in the whole section.

Checked the A-Arm motion? Really? Yeah they goes uppedy down diddy real niicee! Seriously though, the ball joint motion is the same if not better then the full flight set up. They are decent arms, but they really needed sorting. Again this was supposed to do a easy low complicated build. Not a re engineering project. Hence the modification of the A Arms I already had. The only issue may be getting the bump steer sorted by tweaking stem height to correct the motion of tie rods.

Also wanna mention that the heim joints will eventually with extreme angle ball joints once spring comes and the bike is on long travel shocks.

Edited by domestic_beotch

I'd like to see a closer pic of the lower frame where it was welded back to the original frame. Top, bottom, and side shots. That looks a little scary to me. How did you reattach the top rails? Did you slide another piece of pipe on the inside and plug weld it? Just wondering

Ok I'll get a few pics of that when the frame is back from powder. The tubes are just but welded. There are 7 mounting points in the front right there. I think it will be ok. But that could be an idea for the next guy to do it.

Looks good. Lots of progress. :clap:

Glad to see after all of that grinding and welding that you finally covered the truck and the bike. Great way to pit your windshields, maybe paint too. :shootself:

Thanks. All the grinding was done outside and the bike and my truck were not in the garage when any welding was done. I spent $2500.00 on paint materials for the truck. I'm not going to F it up like that.