Shift Shaft adjustment

Put a moded shift shaft on as well as a top end along with a butt load of other parts. Doing the break in/heat cycle thing and noticed the shifter and shaft are vibriting like crazy. Looked it up in my Clymers and have a general idea. If anyone has done this adjustment and can gimme a few pointers to save some time I would appreciate it.

Bob

With your clutch off and the transmission in 1st or 2nd gear. (any gear but neutral)

Loosen the lock washer that holds the lock nut in place on the eccentric adjustment bolt. Once loosened, turn the eccentric bolt until the space between the upper claw and lower claw on your shift shaft are equally spaced above and below the shift star cogs. Below is a pic of the upper shift star cog and upper shift shaft claw. You want this space to be equal on the top and bottom. Once you have the eccentric adjusted tighten the lock nut back down and bend the lock washer over the nut.

DSC00031.jpg

Forgot to add make sure shifter is installed.the weight ,depending on the shifter will put some tension on the spring,more if the spring is worn.If its off just a hair,you will get an intermittent hang up

If your shift shaft main spring is so worn out that your shifter is pulling the shaft down, its time to replace the spring and probably the eccentric adjustment bolt. They are both made of the same hardness material and both wear out at about the same rate. In most new applications the weight of the shifter will not be significant enough to make any change at all to the shift shaft. Next time you have the shift shaft off, try and open up the shift shaft spring by hand and you will feel how much tension the spring has. :cheers:

I did everything as described here and in Clymers. I loosened the lock bolt, turned the djustment screw and absolutely nothing moved. I don't want to put this thing back together and find out its still loose. When I had it together after the install of the new shift shaft there was some play in the shaft itself, up and down with the shifter on. Can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.