Cleaing pipes

sp1tekiller

My search function isn't working correctly, so forgive me as I'm sure this is a common one.

I have my bike tore down to rebuild the top end so I figured while I'm waiting to get the cylinders back from being bored that I'd clean up my FMF Gnarlies. I just wondered if there were any tricks to it, or what everyone thinks is the best way to clean 'em up. Thanks in advance.

Here I thought this was a post about my ex....that's about all she was good for...lol.

Use WD40 and a 00 or 000 grade steel wool or scotch brite pad at first.

Then get a can of never dull. The never dull is like a finishing product. You use the cotton wadding to clean and polish the metal, then use a clean dry towel to wipe it off. Like waxing your car.

Never dull is the bomb for finishing off chrome or nickel plating.

Guys I'm new to HQ, you guys have a good thing going here and its very helpful. I bought my first Banshee bone stock back in May of this year. I had been out of the ATV seen for a few years. The last Quad I owned was a 2001 Yamaha Blaster back when I was 16 years old. I bought it brand new. I always wanted a Banshee after having the Blaster "Baby Banshee". I have bought a ton of upgrades. I still need to install the Vito's Stage 3 jet kit, +10-10 adjustable timing plate, Motion Pro T.O.R.S Delete Kit, and a Drive Line Heavy Duty clutch kit with YZF 1000 Friction plates so I will probably be asking you guys questions about installing those Items. This is my 3rd or 4th post and I can help you guys out with polishing tips. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my bikes appearance.

I have a set of chrome plated Paul Turner Mids on my Banshee and I love them. While they might not be the best pipe for every rider or style of riding the triple plated chrome finish they have on them is second to none I haven't seen another brand of pipe with the quality of the Paul Turners. My brother has a Chrome FMF Fatty on his 1989 TRX-250R and I tried to make the FMF finish look like the Pual Turner finish but I just couldn't get it there. I even used my Drimel and a polishing kit, I just don't think the finish is deep/thick enough to get the mirror finish of the PT's. But any way this is the method I used on his and it came out pretty good.

I cleaned the pipe first with wheel cleaner and a Scotch Brite. Then I polished the pipe with Mother's Chrome Polish. I use my finger tips to apply the polish and work it in, I think this is more affective than using a cloth because the texture/roughness of your the skin on your fingers get the polish deeper in the pores of the finish, and it takes off any contaminates that might be left even after cleaning. The heat generated by your body and friction against the pipes also makes the thin liquid polish dry faster, and its easier to get all areas of the pipe even when there on the bike. After the polish has set up and dried I wipe it off with a cotton cloth, and apply Turtle Wax Original Hard Shell Wax, it leaves streaks and it leaves a lot of dust. If the pipes are on the bike start it and let it run for a minute and this will speed things up. Wipe the wax off with a clean cloth. I remove the streaks and wax dust that is left on and around the pipe with Eagle 1 Detailer, this shit is great I use it to clean and coat everything from the plastic to the frame. After you have your pipes polished if you will wipe them off every now and then with the Eagle 1 Detailer it will make the shine last longer, the same goes for other components on your bike. It helps keep mud from sticking to the finish of everything. To keep my plastic clean I use Pledge streakless for glass and slick suffices, this works great and it last. Pledge has something in it that not only cleans, moisturizes, and shines but it also repels dust. I use the more expensive streakless now because the new plastic I bought is black and regular Pledge leaves a visible film on the black plastic. I never had that problem with the OEM white plastic. Anyway this was a little off subject but I love a clean Banshee. I hope this helps.

Jim

Oh, keep in mind you can't use aluminum polish to polish chrome, or chrome polish to polish aluminum it will make a mess of the finish and make it look dull. :cheers: