My sundahl Banshee

sandtazam

Been a while since I've posted. I sold my Banshee and built a sandcar. When it was done, I realized I liked my banshee better. Long story short, i sold the car and got my bike back. Dean built my chassis back in 2001. I think mine was his 5th of this style. Anyway, it now is all ready for the upcoming dune season. Here it is.

390055184.jpg

390055186.jpg

381185281.jpg

381185284.jpg

Been a while since I've posted. I sold my Banshee and built a sandcar. When it was done, I realized I liked my banshee better. Long story short, i sold the car and got my bike back. Dean built my chassis back in 2001. I think mine was his 5th of this style. Anyway, it now is all ready for the upcoming dune season. Here it is.

390055184.jpg

390055186.jpg

381185281.jpg

381185284.jpg

WTF??? :blink:

Interesting frame design.......are they particular for the dunes???? looks very short in wheelbase

I also have this little 910cc hot rod at the shop but now that I'm 46, I really don't have the skills to ride this monster and therefor it's for sale. It's almost 200hp. My Sundahl bike will forgive me for a mistake. This one will punish me.

382660715.jpg

381246674.jpg

381246667.jpg

381246666.jpg

It's actually for desert racing. I have a 6 gal tank and other plastics for desert racing. It has 20" front travel and 18" rear. It's like a trophy truck with handlebars. What's really fun about this bike is, you can just sit and ride. I'm also 6'4" so its size is very comfortable for me.

Edited by sandtazam

Thanks guys. It really does ride smooth on the rough stuff. The chrome FB was made for an old drag bike I use to have. It was featured in Sandsports Mag waay back in 2002. I sold the bike with painted plastics and kept this plastic. Fullbore actually made it for me out of a very hard plastic, kind of like the plastic used for model cars. They really went the extra mile for me. If I remember correctly, the frame, sub frame, front & rear arms, offset spindles, bumpers and heim joints was around 5k. At my shop we just got set up to do a spray chrome finish. It looks as real as real chrome too. When I get time I'll do the back to match. This was the old bike.

353688593.jpg

Edited by sandtazam

12O Clock...not trying to be a smart ass, so don't take it this way.

Do a little research on Dean Sundahl.

He was the king of Baja 500 and long off road races back in his day (late 80's early 90s)

You could probably ride that bike for hours and run over all kinds of shit and not feel it.

It's got nearly 3X the travel of stock suspension and it's designed to be blistered at 90MPH for hours on end.

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/race/profile-dean-sundahl-25093.html

Thanks again guys. The front is about 10"s wider than a stock banshee so I just get on the side of the seat and pitch it sideways. Also because the front arms cross to the opposite side, the weight transfer doesn't cause it to lean as much.

You're right, just sit and git. The bike does all the work. It's quite fun to watch it work. Any time I might loose in a corner is made up for in the rough stuff. In the last desert race I was in, there was some rocky spots where other riders were jumping up and down to get traction to get over the rocks, I blew through it at about 40 mph. I started in 17th place and finished 8th. I could have done better but my cdi box was going bad and I couldn't get it over about 50mph so I was getting killed in the straights. If any of you are going to glamis for T-giving, let me know. We can get together.

how do you go hammering it sideways ? seems pretty high and id get scared kicken it sideways around a turn.

that spray chrome looks just like polished chrome !

awesome stuff right there !

Actually the FB front plastic is real chrome. I'm going to do the back with the spray chrome to match. I can't tell the two apart.

Edited by sandtazam