Sprocket?

muggzy

Any opinions on sprockets out there? I need to replace my chain and sprockets soon so I'd like some advice. I'm riding mostly woods (purely recreational) and have a 13 - 41 set-up. I'd like to keep it that way but my front sprocket is pretty worn and the chain could probably (definitely) be replaced. I'm looking at the 13T Moose chromoly steel but their rear 41T is aluminum. Not sure I like the idea of an aluminum sprocket. Any suggestions on a long lasting chain would be welcome also. I just bought a cheap chain for $29 but realize that's probably a big mistake.

i bought a marshalls chain and spent 25 bucks on it at dealer cost. it is a beefy o-ring chain. in the catalog it has over 1000# more tensile strength (7200#'s) then DID and RK. it was so strong my chain break that i used on my last DID couldnt even break it. i had to grind my links off.. so far im really happy with it.

When it comes to chain and sprockets, you get what you pay for. That $29 chain will probably last one ride. As for aluminum sprockets, I used to run one because that is what all the fast guys used. But I got tired of buying a sprocket everytime I turned around. I now run a iron sprocket front and rear, usually from Sunstar and I always use a X ring chain from DID as they seem to hold up the best for the money. There are more expensive chains out there such as Regina, but I don't know if they last longer. There is also the titanium set from Sidewinder that is supposed to be indestructable but it is very expensive also.

i bought a marshalls chain and spent 25 bucks on it at dealer cost. it is a beefy o-ring chain. in the catalog it has over 1000# more tensile strength (7200#'s) then DID and RK. it was so strong my chain break that i used on my last DID couldnt even break it. i had to grind my links off.. so far im really happy with it.

+1 on the marshall chain.

i run marshall chains on everyone of my banshees, and 200x, never had a problem. my buddy broke my last d.i.d chain in half off my banshee. never had one issue with the marshall, i get them through my grandpas motorcycle shop. (dealer cost woop woop huh jammer) i would buy 2 of them before i bought an rk or d.i.d. and i can get them at cost also. i wouldnt buy those colored cheap chains off ebay, someone on here had a picture of there's about to break, and i didnt hear that great of things on other forums about them either. as far as sprockets i usually run sunstar. just like bansheesandrider said aluminum seem to wear faster, if you just ride woods, stick with steel.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going with a Marshall O-ring chain, a Sunstar steel 41T sprocket in the rear and the Moose 13T front. After I wash down my quad at the end of the day I'm currently wetting down the chain with WD-40. I think it should be safe for the O-rings and it displaces the water. Any other suggestions? I'm reluctant to use the sticky chain lubes - even when they say "o-ring safe" 'cause the stone dust I go through sometimes is the last thing I want sticking to my chain.

When it comes to chain and sprockets, you get what you pay for. That $29 chain will probably last one ride. As for aluminum sprockets, I used to run one because that is what all the fast guys used. But I got tired of buying a sprocket everytime I turned around. I now run a iron sprocket front and rear, usually from Sunstar and I always use a X ring chain from DID as they seem to hold up the best for the money. There are more expensive chains out there such as Regina, but I don't know if they last longer. There is also the titanium set from Sidewinder that is supposed to be indestructable but it is very expensive also.

i have an aluminum rear sprocket that has been on my 4 mill drag bike for almost a year now. (prolly 7 drag events and almost 200 passes on it) and i am yet to see any signs of wear. i would not recommend it for large cc drag bikes, but i have no complains with it yet.

i run marshall chains on everyone of my banshees, and 200x, never had a problem. my buddy broke my last d.i.d chain in half off my banshee. never had one issue with the marshall, i get them through my grandpas motorcycle shop. (dealer cost woop woop huh jammer) i would buy 2 of them before i bought an rk or d.i.d. and i can get them at cost also. i wouldnt buy those colored cheap chains off ebay, someone on here had a picture of there's about to break, and i didnt hear that great of things on other forums about them either. as far as sprockets i usually run sunstar. just like bansheesandrider said aluminum seem to wear faster, if you just ride woods, stick with steel.

How much power are you making that you snapped a DID? Do you have a rear skid? I snapped 2 renthal chains on my built R I had and went to DID with great luck. My banshee now has DID and once again its a good chain.

You guys that are suggesting an aluminum sprocket are failing to realize that there's a WHOLE LOT of abrasives in the mud and grime and trail dust that you'll never touch on a drag strip. The relatively soft aluminum will wear right down under those conditions. I'm not at all concerned about weight so I'm definitely gonna use steal. The harder the better. As for the chain, a higher tensile strength chain won't matter while it's new on a basically bolt on bike but when it wears, It'll still have the strength that the others have when they're new.

Marshall Chain and Sunstar Steel sprocket in the rear with the hardened chromalloy Moose sprocket in the front.

Edited by muggzy