How to port stock reed cages?

spooled

I'm very competent at porting...just don't see where material can be removed. If anyone knows, please advise. I have an old set of FMF ram valves that I'd prefer not to use. I have HJR dune port, 30mm carbs, 21cc domes, the usual. Also have 2 sets of stock cages with boyesen dual stage reeds. Just need to know or see a pic of ported cages! Thanks!

I'm very competent at porting...just don't see where material can be removed. If anyone knows, please advise. I have an old set of FMF ram valves that I'd prefer not to use. I have HJR dune port, 30mm carbs, 21cc domes, the usual. Also have 2 sets of stock cages with boyesen dual stage reeds. Just need to know or see a pic of ported cages! Thanks!

hey buddy... let me knoe if u wana get rid of a set of those 2 stade reeds... and go to http://www.bansheeboyz.com/Porting.html

theres a pic of the ported cages i bought... hope this helps

That helps but a better pic would be great. Since I have two sets what would you give for one? Do you need the cages as well?

no jus the reeds i bought the cages that you seen on the web site.. but i wish i would have ported my own.. 45 .. buxs down the pooper lol

but.. any who.. u need anything banshee wise? may be we can trade.. and do you have pics and what brand are they

Don't really need much. What ya got. I think they're both boyesen's. Give me your email addy and I'll email pics.

my addy is becareless06@yahoo.com , jus the usual stuff .. jus didnt knoe if you needed any thing in particular..

lol i have a crap load of verizon cell phones thats goin on ebay.. if i cant find anyone need one

1260154433.jpg

1260154563.jpg

1260154753.jpg

didn't get close-ups of the inside, but you just flow it all.....what matters is the end where you either slope it up steeper to help push the reeds open at lower rpms, or slope it long and gradual to flow better at higher rpm's

You did a nice job on those Heath... one thing i do have to add is it will depend on the petals your using as well. If you are going to use the dual stage reeds, the petals on the bottom have a center support that matches the center support on your reed cages. If you do use these you can take about 3/16" of that center support on the cage out from the reed tip area up. I ported my old set the way Heath did and am trying this new set with the 3/16" removed on my 4mil. The reed tip area of the cage is the most crucial part when porting cages as Heath already sort of stated and by doing this you will be able to move more flow through the cages. Some may argue your weakening the cage and will break petals, but as long as you only take 3/16-1/4" out and didnt remove too much around the edges theres no reason they should break.

• Like 1

Does anyone have any data showing that you actually benifit from porting stock cages? This subject has come up several times.

im betting youll gain little to nothing. i still say v-force is the only way to go. theres a reason that almost all builders recommend running them.

If ported right you gain about 20% more flow. Removing the tip about 3/16" back is a big factor. Squaring off the cage at the top of the pedal is bad. You can square off the insides at top of the pedals but not outside. The stock radius is just about perfect for flow. Even better is to get blaster cages (stock) and cut the flange and drill the flange to fit the banshee. Stock blaster cage, if I remember correctly is about 20% better than a correctly ported banshee cage. Or you could by our cage, of course and get the best performance. If you have the pedals already then our cages are $120.00 for the set. $162.00 with reeds.

Thanks

Jerry

I have only seen this topic come up lately, besides the past month or 2, I have never seen this on the HQ i dont think.

Its actually pretty interesting though.

Do you have any proof showing gains or better results compared to lets say v-force reeds?

What pedals would you recommend running with stock cages and a 4mil trail bike?

Joe