44 replies to this topic

#1 WantABanshee

WantABanshee

HQ Soldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:25 AM

I just bought a bike and am rebuilding it.. I ride all trails and was wondering what you guys did to keep your banshee from overheating??

I will be rebuilding it w stock internals and stock headed

Thanks

#2 Invader

Invader

HQ Soldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

I just bought a bike and am rebuilding it.. I ride all trails and was wondering what you guys did to keep your banshee from overheating??

I will be rebuilding it w stock internals and stock headed

Thanks

I was going to say a coolhead and engine ice for coolant but then i read the rest of your post. so scratch the coolhead. I run in really hot weather in the summer and i think engine ice works great!
Cycle Logic Engine Ice Coolant

#3 WantABanshee

WantABanshee

HQ Soldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:05 PM

Ok so Engine Ice it is. What other popular mods do people do to aid with cooling in a low speed situation? Besides a cyl. head swap?

#4 Invader

Invader

HQ Soldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 02:47 PM

Ok so Engine Ice it is. What other popular mods do people do to aid with cooling in a low speed situation? Besides a cyl. head swap?

I think a couple guys run a larger radiator.

#5 JET 99

JET 99

HQ Soldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 457 posts
  • Interests:uuuhhh! like fun stuff I guess or I wouldnt have an interest in it would I???????????????

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

you could put in an aftermarket impellar... it does help somewhat and is added insurance against nylon impellar fins braking off and you not know it...

#6 MikeNick

MikeNick

HQ Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts
  • Interests:Drinking beer

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:03 PM

Get a different head preferrably Chariot or NOSS since they're sponsors....Billet impeller, engine ice coolant, larger radiator .....

#7 TwistedSheeRida

TwistedSheeRida

HQ Soldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

never overheated my banshee go for long trail rides all the time. i run coolant from wal mart whatever is cheapest haha

#8 vegas banshee

vegas banshee

HQ Soldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 601 posts
  • Interests:MY BANSHEE

Posted 28 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

never overheated my banshee go for long trail rides all the time. i run coolant from wal mart whatever is cheapest haha

x2 haha cheap coolant and avaerage 85mile rides at a time..

#9 kawiking

kawiking

HQ General

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts
  • Interests:wife(tiffany)boy(dante)

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

Get a different head preferrably Chariot or NOSS since they're sponsors....Billet impeller, engine ice coolant, larger radiator .....

good post ... get a coolhead also

#10 RagunCajun

RagunCajun

HQ Captain

• HQ Premium Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts
  • Interests:t56 pick up and days off.

Posted 29 October 2009 - 02:13 AM

i keep moving....

#11 bigborebanshee

bigborebanshee

HQ Soldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:44 AM

There is not much you can do other than what others have posted above,but Here a neat little trick that will benefit even stock banshees

between the radiator and shrouds,there is a significant gap on both sides,the banshee radiator shroud is a great air catcher,but these gaps will divert more air around the radiator than it should. My solution is to take an old stock radiator grille.You can cut out the bigger fins along with the mesh and position them to divert incoming air into the radiator,not around it.The screws that actually hold the stock grill in can actually be used to mount the air deflectors.

I can't explain it but if you look between the shroud and the radiator itself,there is a significant gap.I saw someone using a 1 inch thick foam tape to seal the area around it,but the foam acts like an insulator IMO.If you can fab up something that will redirect better into the radiator it will only benefit the cooling.

#12 3lue by u

3lue by u

HQ Noob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:My wife and son, Jesus Christ, quads, snowboarding

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:03 PM

Another little trick that I plan on doing when I finally stop riding the shee is to use aircraft stripper to strip the black paint off the radiator and maybe polish it for looks but stripping it and shrouding it should definitely help lower temps.

#13 Rodneya

Rodneya

HQ Soldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:06 AM

Another little trick that I plan on doing when I finally stop riding the shee is to use aircraft stripper to strip the black paint off the radiator and maybe polish it for looks but stripping it and shrouding it should definitely help lower temps.

The black paint on the rad helps dissipate heat. Stripping the paint will make your rad less efficient and your motor run hotter. Polished rads look cool on drag bikes, but they only run for seconds at a time. Regular bikes have to stay cool for hours when riding.

If your motor is jetted correctly you will not overheat as long as you keep moving. Putting in a billet impeller is a good idea though.
I run some hairy trails in the mountains and woods and have never overheated.

#14 peterlocal22

peterlocal22

HQ Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  • Interests:atvs, heavy equiptment, Erin D. and her wacko remarks!

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:21 AM

i keep moving....

haha
very true

#15 Invader

Invader

HQ Soldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:25 PM

Billet impeller? i'm just curious? how many people know of engine problems with the stock impeller going bad? I understand the theory, but have talked to several builders that say they have never seen one fail. :confused: