Pics to using drain cleaner to take that gold shit off wheels

FrankieSquid

Nice, been wanting to do that to mine. How long did you let it sit on there?

You let it sit for about 5 to 10 minutes, enough for it to start to bubble because if you do it sooner nothing will happen. Its more effective when its bubbling. The thing is that the liquid creates heat and thats is what eats that coating off.

That's sweet, drain cleaner is wicked.

Any brand preference? Or will just any work.

You have to use the one that has LYE a chemicle called Sodium Hydroxide. You can find it at Home Depot In the plumbing section. Its the only black Container thats says Hair and Grease Drain Cleaner. Youl know which one it is, its the only black container in a plastic bag. It ran me about 8bucks.

Edited by FrankieSquid

Aircraft remover will work just fine for removing paint or powdercoat. My 95 had the yellow front wheels and I got tired of that pretty quick, 20 minutes with aircraft and I had 2 completely different wheels.

any pics of the before and after? i don't like the yellow painted look either but figured its better then f-ing them up trying to strip them. this stuff just called aircraft cleaner?

The gold wheels are sweet. Why would you want the same boring ass wheel everone else has.

Gold wheels are nice but they were throwing the theme i was going for way off. Dont get me wrong i like the retro look but just wasnt feeling it.

And here are the pics for those wanting to see the before and after. The final process was polish which can get addicting.lol. It can never be too shiny.franiespics019.jpgfraniespics018.jpgfraniespics020.jpgfraniespics021.jpg

any pics of the before and after? i don't like the yellow painted look either but figured its better then f-ing them up trying to strip them. this stuff just called aircraft cleaner?

You already know what before is, here is the after. (They are a tad dirty):

picture001lx.jpg

You can pick the stuff up at any auto parts place or places like wal mart, the stuff I buy is called aircraft remover.

Edited by quikshee

You already know what before is, here is the after. (They are a tad dirty):

great, thanks for the pic.

You can pick the stuff up at any auto parts place or places like wal mart, the stuff I buy is called aircraft remover.

ok cool i'll have to look into it tomorrow or sunday.

• 2 weeks later...