Ported stock reed cages

Pasi S.

I ported my stock reed cages and I want you to tell me are they OK and good to go, or fucked up and I need to buy new ones?!

I tryed to find some information, but didn´t find any so here they are based on "feeling"

stock.

IMG_2189.jpg

IMG_2188.jpg

and after...

IMG_2199.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

I did some cleaning with fruit knife and sand paper after these picks.

I have Carbon Tech Hi reeds for them.

I realy don´t know how mutch it adds but THEY say it´s good thing to do! ;)

I also tryed to find info with search but didn´t find anything usefull.

LOL- I think the problem is me... not the search option! :lol:

... after all I hope that the "porting" will do something -> I spend some serious time with them.

I used needle-files and fruit knife and sand paper to do this.

A dremel with a carbide cutting tip and a couple different files works the best that I've found. No one to my knowledge has actually dyno tested ported reeds, however they are better than stock and comparable to VF3 and a whole lot cheaper. From what what I've learned most of the power is made from modifying the area on the cage where the reed tips are and what petals you run for your application. Depending on what petals your running will depend on how much you can do and what you can do to the cage. Im not a pro at porting reed cages by any means, but I have done a few on a few different vehicles and a few sets for a banshee so I can help out if you guys need it.

Edited by 278

hey guys i did this too mine last week and got them put on this

weekend and its like my shee has no pull on top at all.

it dont scream like it use too. what did yaw do jetting wise.

i also put reed spacers on it too. thanks for the help

when i put reed spacers on mine, it lost top end bad. take off the reed spacers and try again.

took them off and it did alot better.

it running rich now since i ported the reed cages. i have stock pipes, stock carbs

with 210 mains,+7 timing,air box with no lid,

and slightly ported jugs.i though after i di this it would be lean but it not lol.

any help?

when modding your shee, you'll never need to lean things out. you'll need to richen. +7 timing....yikes!! that's what's really helping to hurt your top end. don't go more than +4. actually, put timing back to stock and run it, and see if your top end comes back....i bet it does. what octane are you running? 210 mains w/no lid is too lean. need to start out @ 240+. i would personally start out @ 260 mains and 27.5 pilots. what are your slightly ported jugs? cleaned up intakes/casting flaws? i never had luck w/reed spacers on a banshee. i would leave them off personally. what is your elevation and riding temps?

Edited by mopar1rules

what is your premix ratio? a little taken out of the exhaust port means what? widened? widened on top or bottom? raised? lowered? i can't see you being RICH, on stock 210 mains, and having done to the bike what you have. i would be expecting 240+ mains.

Edited by mopar1rules