cascade shift star mad

TurboBanshee420

I installed a modded shift star from cascade.... It works well to reduce shifting effort.

However.... I no longer can shift at high rpm unless I REEF on the shifter. I believe because the rounded noses on the star pionts no longer gives me the push to get it into the next gear. So I always end up missing shifts about 10x in a row or just ripp gear lugs up....I'm waiting for the tranny to blow apart next. I think I'll be putting the stocker back in. At least the only shift i missed before was 1-2.

JUNK MOD....

Anyone elses experiance the same?

I installed a modded shift star from cascade.... It works well to reduce shifting effort.

However.... I no longer can shift at high rpm unless I REEF on the shifter. I believe because the rounded noses on the star pionts no longer gives me the push to get it into the next gear. So I always end up missing shifts about 10x in a row or just ripp gear lugs up....I'm waiting for the tranny to blow apart next. I think I'll be putting the stocker back in. At least the only shift i missed before was 1-2.

JUNK MOD....

Anyone elses experiance the same?

I think your the ONLY one man. Mines been killer with the rest of the mods ive done to help shifting also. (SHift pro shift kit with easy spring and roller bearing also i modded my shift shaft). Shifts like a honda now.

How olds your shift shaft and spring? Eccentric screw set right so that the shaft moves the star properly?

Mabey adjust it properly.

Because its a KICK ASS MOD

Edited by savage420

i didn't change anything, just dropped it on and put it back together. What screw are you talking about? mAybe you can find a picture to help....The only ones I can think of that are in there is the screw holding the star on and the one holding the shift shaft spring (more of a stud really).....You got my noodle baking

i didn't change anything, just dropped it on and put it back together. What screw are you talking about? mAybe you can find a picture to help....The only ones I can think of that are in there is the screw holding the star on and the one holding the shift shaft spring (more of a stud really).....You got my noodle baking

Well put your noddle back in your pants to start with. :unsure:

Yes, the stud your talking about is the eccentric screw, its like a cam, when you loosen the nut under it and turn it, it adjusts how the shift shaft grabs the star. The claws have to be set perfect with the same amount of gap on both sides or it will shift like dog shit.

Says the same thing and shows pics also in the clymers.

I have pics of what all mine looks like and how to set it, but just go look at your clymers man.

Its VERY simple to adjust and set right. :ph34r:

Well put your noddle back in your pants to start with. unsure.gif

Yes, the stud your talking about is the eccentric screw, its like a cam, when you loosen the nut under it and turn it, it adjusts how the shift shaft grabs the star. The claws have to be set perfect with the same amount of gap on both sides or it will shift like dog shit.

Says the same thing and shows pics also in the clymers.

I have pics of what all mine looks like and how to set it, but just go look at your clymers man.

Its VERY simple to adjust and set right. ph34r.gif

Word.

I never had any trouble with one of these shift stars and I have owned may of them. I have owned atleast 6 of them. I also have never heard of anyone having a problem with them that was actually caused by the star itself.

The Cascade star is one of the best bang for the buck transmission mods out there.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm lost as to why it would shift any different when I didn't change anything but the star. I would assume it would still be set right since the pins are all the same location from star to star. I guess I'll open it back up and give it a tweak and see if it helps.

opened it up and found the adjustment pin backing out and jam nut loose. I guess that would have an adverse effect on my shifting huh...lol

Adjusted and locktighted. Works great so far just going down the road. I'll take it out tomorrow on some trails and see how she goes. I still have a little bit of tuning to do anyways.

opened it up and found the adjustment pin backing out and jam nut loose. I guess that would have an adverse effect on my shifting huh...lol

Adjusted and locktighted. Works great so far just going down the road. I'll take it out tomorrow on some trails and see how she goes. I still have a little bit of tuning to do anyways.

Told you bro.

Did you set it proper though? As you want the claws on the end of the shift shaft to have the EXACT same distance from grabbing the pins on the shift star, you need to check this when its in any gear and NOT in neutral. If you didn't set the gaps properly with the eccentric screw then do it now or it will still shift like poo poo.

Do you understand what im saying about setting the shift shaft claws gap to engage the shift star properly? or you need me to huck up some pics? BTW, you can only see this with the basket off again. :ph34r:

Edited by savage420

• 4 weeks later...

Told you bro.

Did you set it proper though? As you want the claws on the end of the shift shaft to have the EXACT same distance from grabbing the pins on the shift star, you need to check this when its in any gear and NOT in neutral. If you didn't set the gaps properly with the eccentric screw then do it now or it will still shift like poo poo.

Do you understand what im saying about setting the shift shaft claws gap to engage the shift star properly? or you need me to huck up some pics? BTW, you can only see this with the basket off again. :ph34r:

I just took the stock shift star off after using a micromiter to measure the cascade "heat treated" one and ground it off to spec...

my 7mill hasnt had a problem with it yet :dance:

basically its a stock star with the edges ground off, making them round instead of a point. I don't think you can screw it up if you just round the points off. You don't need to grind off the point between 6th and neutral. As far as it shifting any better, I didn't notice any difference at all. I do think that my spring might be worn out though. Has anyone ever worn a spring out?