Finally started my 535

Well I finally started the 535 i built over the winter...from scratch..... Started up pretty quick... Lots of smoke probably from the oil I pourded on the cank bearings etc.... Seems pretty good so far.... Whats the best break in process?

Trinity says run it for 3 minutes...let it cool, retorque heads and cyls....top off radiator...they say do that 3 times then ride it gently.

What about the engine case bolts? Do any of you retorque them after break in??

I will check the timing after the third start cycle and adjust it....to 17degrees

Anyone have any other sugsetions?

Oh, here is a pic of the final project:

Thanks for all the help by many forum folks...

finished_500.JPG

Edited by lt1bird

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I finally started the 535 i built over the winter...from scratch..... Started up pretty quick... Lots of smoke probably from the oil I pourded on the cank bearings etc.... Seems pretty good so far.... Whats the best break in process?

Trinity says run it for 3 minutes...let it cool, retorque heads and cyls....top off radiator...they say do that 3 times then ride it gently.

What about the engine case bolts? Do any of you retorque them after break in??

I will check the timing after the third start cycle and adjust it....to 17degrees

Anyone have any other sugsetions?

Oh, here is a pic of the final project:

Thanks for all the help by many forum folks...

finished_500.JPG

Holy shit, that's neat. I had no idea you were putting the motor in a streetbike.

But as far as the break in process that's about right.

Your putting the timing at 17 degrees? I don't retorque the case bolts.

definatly will make a on board video :) Already have the camera......... Ya, it took a while to build it.....the engine was the most fun...always nice working with all new parts! Still, had to modify the block....2.36 streight cut gears you need to custom machine the water pump shaft, clearnce the block, the side cover etc ....the gears are pretty large in dia..... it was all very fun and a learning experince....never tore down a banshee engine before....was similar to my cr500 engine...

The timing will be set to 17 degrees at idle...I think the max timing will be 28 degrees.... Im using a ignitech programmable ignition...pretty slick device...hook your laptop up to it and make your curve....very easy to use and real cheap compared to the dyna... I do have a battery though....

Its too funny...I have an aprilia rs250 that i ride on the street.... so many folks do not know what 2 stroke's are...only folks with 2 strokes know the sound :) The cascade banshee silencers really keep the noise down...the quality on the silencers is awsome!

From under the steering stem there are some nice beefy holes. I bent some square aluminum tubing. That runs down the center of the radiator on the front. Then there are supports top and bottom rubber mounted. It looks free floating...kinda cool but the whole assembly can be pushed forward toward the front tire to give me plenty of room to work without removing it....