Ricky Stator 200 watt stator

Got a 200 watt Ricky Stator with adjustable timing plate from an individual. It was supposed to be new in the box. Bolted it on the bike today and was disappointed to find that my lights dim worse now than with the original stock stator. Also had a problem starting it at one point and had to turn off the light switch to get it to fire. Once it fired up the lights worked and it would start with the switch on after that.

Do I have a short? Anyone ever gotten a bad one new? I doubt I can send it in and get a new one since I paid cash for it. Should I cut my losses and put the stock stator on the adjustable timing plate and go from there? How can I check for ground problems?

Should I cut my losses and put the stock stator on the adjustable timing plate and go from there? How can I check for ground problems?

Thats what I did.

Alot of guys on here have had problems with the Ricky Stator products.

If you leave it in there, at least bring the stocker with you when you go riding.

You WILL need it someday !

been there, done that.. ricky stator=JUNK.. make sure you bring a TOW strap with you.

Went down to work on it after my kid went to bed. Went to take the stator off so I could put my stock one on the adjustable timing plate. Broke off the screws of course. So the stock stuff is back on and that is where it will stay. Any time I have messed with aftermarket junk I have trouble so I will leave it alone. Headed to the dunes for my second visit and it would be nice to make it home again without any problems.

I will drill out the broken screws at work tomorrow. Is it worth it to advance the timing? Or should I leave it alone. The thing had plenty of power last weekend at Little Sahara so I'm thinking I should leave well enough alone. Not out to win any races, just want to ride the dunes without worrying about breaking down.

Edited by Midway USA

Who hasn't had a bad ricky stator. LOL I had one do the exact thing you describe. I also had one that had a high rpm miss right out of the box. Oh yeah and a ricky stator flywheel that was out of round and 1 that the timing nubs on the flywheel were not machined right. 1 cylinder was retarded about 10 degrees. :down:

Who hasn't had a bad ricky stator. LOL I had one do the exact thing you describe. I also had one that had a high rpm miss right out of the box. Oh yeah and a ricky stator flywheel that was out of round and 1 that the timing nubs on the flywheel were not machined right. 1 cylinder was retarded about 10 degrees. :down:

I got the broken screws out this morning. Talked to the kid I bought it from and he is going to give me a stock one he has so I will have a spare. May not put the adjustable plate on till after my trip to the dunes. Its all together and running so why mess with a good thing.

I had bought 1 a few years back lasted 3 rides had to be towed back from comp hill. I didn`t have my stocker with me basically blew the weekend. Never will I buy there products again. I would like to get a better stator for mine but have not heard of anyone that is any good yet. Thought about trying the moose stator to see if its any good.

I would love to find a supplier of new Stators and not pay dealer price.

Something not made in China, and that works...period.

Chariot Performance, a site sponsor, makes a billet timing plate that is very nice. It's a few bucks more than the cast RickyJunk, but it's a lot less than the prodesign.

I picked one up this year for mine, and I keep my spare stator (OEM of course) on the old cast plate.

Yep.

I had two go bad less than a year apart each.

I sent the first back for warranty, the second went in the staging lanes...and I just threw it in the trash and put an OEM on.

rusty, beat up...looks like a war zone OEM stator...still going.

Junk...

And my bike doesn't ride in mud, rain, etc. Dry days, sand...that's it.