Packed clay - tire selection?

ghott

I think there area few guys that post here that run on packed clay tracks (some Bedford 500' guys too I think?).  For those of you with a milder build that run in the low 6's for 500' or low 4's for 300' - what kind of tires have you had the best results with?  Ohtsu 501's, Pro Wedges, 4-Snows, Terrain Traks, Turf Tamers?

I've tried a few different sets of tires on packed clay with varied results...501's spin way too hard out of the hole, Pro wedges on 10" wide rims have done decent but seems to give up on the big end. 

I've heard some guys use the 22.5" tall Turf Tamers with decent results?  I've also heard/seen where guys will cut every so many bars out of the turf tamers with even better results?  Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any help.

501s drill hole thru every knob. Insert 1"x5/16 bolts. Make sure u use washers on both inside and out and Teflon lock nuts. Works awesome holds air.

I have a set of studded Ohtsu's, and they work great - but there is only one outfit around here that allows spiked tires - the rest of the clay tracks don't allow them.

gato - you tried the ambushes against the turf tamers at all?  What size ambushes are those?  Look like they are on a 10x10 too?

Does this work better than pro wedge and/or 501's?

It depends on the motor. I have seen Pro Wedges work well on smaller motors. They don't work worth a shit on our big DMs.

And yes, the cut Ambush hook harder than 501s.

I have a set of studded Ohtsu's, and they work great - but there is only one outfit around here that allows spiked tires - the rest of the clay tracks don't allow them.

gato - you tried the ambushes against the turf tamers at all?  What size ambushes are those?  Look like they are on a 10x10 too?

Yes, I have run tons of dirt tires. The Ambush hook much harder than Turf Tamers. My tires are 23x11x12. Unless you have a big motor you won't be able to turn them very easily.

You will likely want the 22x10x9.

I'd try Terrain Traks. Call Sandtoyz, give him your motor information/times and he'll nail down what paddle, width, and whether staggered makes sense or not. I've run them on a few bikes in hard packed dirt, hard packed clay, and sand. They work great, wear well, and can actually be trail ridden too.

Terrain Traks are a paddle tire. There's no way they are going to hook harder than a cut Ambush on hard packed dirt.

They're designed for hard applications. Which one of your bikes have you ran them on? I guarantee they will, I've ran both.

Haha, no you haven't.

You never even got your bike running hard enough to know the difference in Terrain Traks and stock tires.

Again, they're a paddle tire. Paddles don't work on hard packed dirt. That's just silly.

It depends on the motor. I have seen Pro Wedges work well on smaller motors. They don't work worth a shit on our big DMs.

And yes, the cut Ambush hook harder than 501s.

Yes, I have run tons of dirt tires. The Ambush hook much harder than Turf Tamers. My tires are 23x11x12. Unless you have a big motor you won't be able to turn them very easily.

You will likely want the 22x10x9.

Terrain Traks are a paddle tire. There's no way they are going to hook harder than a cut Ambush on hard packed dirt.

Thanks Tyler - I will definitely need the smaller 22x10-9 tires.  My little 4-poke does not make the power that the DM's make.  You wouldn't happen to have any weight statistics on the Ambushes would ya?  I'm always trying to keep rotating mass down if I can.

Oh, I haven't?

I've run them on three different motors actually. One GRR stock cylinder, FAST 421 and a 4DM. But you knew that....right?

You obviously know more than the people who run them, and designed the tire! What about all the guys who run them in dirt drags Tyler?

Haha no. Pics of your bike on hard pack with the tires?

Pics of the hard packed dirt drags with TT?

Haha. I'll be waiting.

Thanks Tyler - I will definitely need the smaller 22x10-9 tires.  My little 4-poke does not make the power that the DM's make.  You wouldn't happen to have any weight statistics on the Ambushes would ya?  I'm always trying to keep rotating mass down if I can.

I have got 22" cut Ambush down to about 18 pounds with a Douglas .160 wheel.

I picked up a set of 22" cut Ambushes from willygonewrong.  Noone around here has the Ambushes (that I know of) - so I will try them out next season and see how it goes.

There are a few locals that have Terrain Traks and a set of Turf Tamers that I can try as well. 

Thanks for the input.

I picked up a set of 22" cut Ambushes from willygonewrong.  Noone around here has the Ambushes (that I know of) - so I will try them out next season and see how it goes.

There are a few locals that have Terrain Traks and a set of Turf Tamers that I can try as well. 

Thanks for the input.

Where did he have those listed?

That's my buddy Will that climbs up in MN.