Frame Customization

jriffe23

Ok so i have a suspended single arm drag frame

frame_zps3e395cb5.jpg

And as you can see the lower control arm mounts are set up for heim joints and i don't like that, just preference. Anyways my questions started when I thought about having a close friend build me a set to fit what is there but i have another sub frame and i want it welded on so i thought about it some more and came up with this.  Im going to get the old subframe and the existing lower control arm mounts cut off.  The other subframe will then be put on and what i was thinking about doing was having the lower control arm mounts moved as far forward as possible and re welded so that these will fit:

Tysoncontolarms_zps65996487.jpg

Now these can be modified to run any shock and i think thats what i will do because I'm wanting to run Marvin Shaws.  The only problem i can see to this point is the shock mounts.  Whether or not I will have to move them is not a problem. I will expect to have to move them since i am moving the mounts forward which isnt a big deal.

Im looking for some input.  This is a decently inexpensive way to get what i need, atleast i know for a fact that this will be cheaper rather than having someone build them.  I just need some input or maybe even some better ideas. 

Holy drilled out frame Bat man

You all act like i drilled it! No! But i kinda like it to an extent but i would have never done it. If i had a choice i would have picked the undrilled.

That frame has been a whore. Pretty sure I've seen it it two other fellas hands. Talk to Brad when you purchase the kit. Install it per his instructions to a T. Do not fuck around. Single arm frames can get sketchy.

Are you sure man? Its here in Missouri if you wanted to know. I dont know you may have seen a different one but i would say there is a equal chance that it was this one. Im not really sure. And what can get sketchy? Trust me i need the input.

The single arm tends to be less parts, but that means if any thing does fail, there's no upper arm to keep things sort of sane. I've seen quite a few Tyson and wheelman chassis that were fast and tracked well. Still a handful to pilot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

If you like it, then I guess that's what's important. Personally, I think it looks like some tweaker went at it because he had a vision that it would go faster if he drilled the shit out of  it. When the frame fills up with sand, it's going to be heavier than it was before all the holes were drilled. Every where you go with that, people are going to laugh at you. Why not cut the subframe off it and weld it to that other frame?

• Like 1

Did u get that out of the st louis mo area?

Yes sir, I picked it up extremely cheap with everything needed to basically complete the build except the control arms so im almost certain im going to buy those tyson racing control arms.

If you like it, then I guess that's what's important. Personally, I think it looks like some tweaker went at it because he had a vision that it would go faster if he drilled the shit out of  it. When the frame fills up with sand, it's going to be heavier than it was before all the holes were drilled. Every where you go with that, people are going to laugh at you. Why not cut the subframe off it and weld it to that other frame?

because i dont have the other frame.

The Frame part is a easy fix but with those single arm setups and putting shaws on will be a issue.

When you hit a bump or the shaws compress the camber will go out bad and cause major bump steer as well as Toe issues with the front tires.

I seen where you said you wanted to move the arms forward there will be a issue with mounting up the shaws then because of the Angle, so you will need to move the upper shock mounts forward as well.