foredom porting tools

I am not aware of any "comprehensive" books or videos available individually, however the instructional pages within the program (as well as included paperwork) you get when you purchase the TSR Port 2000 program will answer any questions you should have. Unfortunately, it will also lighten your wallet several hundred dollars...

Short of that, probably the best individual book I have read would be A. Graham Bell's 2-Stroke Tuning. Is is IMHO, not very comprehensive and pretty well dated (I think it was first published back in the 70's or something). It does contain a lot of good 2-stroke info though and can probably be had for less than $30. There are other books I have seen mentioned on this site that I am not familiar with, try some of them maybe???

If you are an SAE member and find it "relaxing" calculating the geometry and force requirements of various body parts performing daily functions... Purchase Dr. Gordon Blairs original 2-stroke papers submitted to the Society Of Automotive Engineers. It's a real "put you to sleep" read. Also several hundred bucks...

:geek: We sell the new revised edition of A. Graham Bell's Performance Tuning in Theory and Practice for 2-stroke and 4-stroke. They are $35.75 each. I don't know if they will help much do to lack of feedback from customers but we do carry these items. Hope this helps. I would say check out our website but it is a piece of junk right now. We are currently working on a new website with better pictures and layout. We also offer free catalogs just give us a call and we can send one to you and you can check it out yourself. We also have some new items we are adding to our catalog. Our carbide is the best quality the only problem is the guy we get our carbids from can be REALLY SLOW getting it to us. We also resharpen carbide. We also can do special order carbide if you need a larger or smaller cutting head for your carbide. We have three main cuts for our carbide which are spiral (single cut) diamond (cross cut) and alumni (deep cross cut). Our shanks sizes range from 3/32 to 1/4". Well got to get back to work. Lots of love from Tennessee :kiss:

I got my A. Graham Bell copy from you folks like twenty years ago (probably an earlier revision than current... LOL!). Came free with a tooling order. Still get most of my carbide and cartridges from you, tried the cheaper stuff and it is not worth it! Would probably get new motors and handpeices from you too, but don't need any. Still using the original stuff, it don't look so shiney anymore, but it seems to last forever when properly maintained. Better to only cry once sometimes... Been a while on that website hasn't it... Sheesh!

:ermm: Just a thought to crunch on. Wouldnt It be cheaper and less of a hassle to just have someone lIke F.A.S.T of Kevin do the port job. After all the books and the tools you will be into quite a bit of money not to mention the $250 + set of cylinders. I think its awsome to say you built your own bike. IF you are somewhat mechanicly inclined then you can due pretty much the entire bike yourself. But something like port work can make or brake the whole build, and no one would think any less of a pro port job on your bike. I am not bieng rude I have had a few ppl now that have wanted to try there own and just end up having to hunt down new cylinders. And there are a few guys on here that have ported there own and been real sucsseful. So what ever you decide works for you. I would just look into both ways and compare the good and the bad before I spent the money. Either way good luck with your build.

:ermm: Just a thought to crunch on. Wouldnt It be cheaper and less of a hassle to just have someone lIke F.A.S.T of Kevin do the port job. After all the books and the tools you will be into quite a bit of money not to mention the $250 + set of cylinders. I would just look into both ways and compare the good and the bad before I spent the money. Either way good luck with your build.

you can't just look at the small picture, which is the $ that he will spend on tools and books to port his banshee. that's what a lot of the people on here seem to do....is look at the small pic. if he spends all that $ to do one motor, then yeah, maybe not the best investment. but, you need to look at he big picture, which is, if he buys the tools and books, and learns from his first banshee port job, then it will save him $ down the road, because he will already have the tools/knowledge to do more porting on more engines. hell, he can even port his buddies motors for $, which would pay up for the cost of tools/books. the cost of the tools/books would also, get payed up, for what you saved on the port jobs, by doing it yourself. i ported my banshee this summer. i used a race logic stage 3 template. worked great. i took my time (11.5 hrs), and bought some 6in long carbide bits. they were 3/8" cylindrical round end, both single cut and double cut. i also made my own extension for sanding the exhaust port. i also used some short dremel style bits. i ended up using my bros 1/4" straight die grinder, and little pencil die grinder. i'll try to find the pic of my tooling used.

• 2 weeks later...
I got my A. Graham Bell copy from you folks like twenty years ago (probably an earlier revision than current... LOL!). Came free with a tooling order. Still get most of my carbide and cartridges from you, tried the cheaper stuff and it is not worth it! Would probably get new motors and handpeices from you too, but don't need any. Still using the original stuff, it don't look so shiney anymore, but it seems to last forever when properly maintained. Better to only cry once sometimes... Been a while on that website hasn't it... Sheesh!

:geek: It was a nice website when we first got it going but now it is outdated and prices are wrong. Hopefully it won't be long til we get it sorted out and running smoothly. kinda hard to fix it when you tear up the main office computer. Woops!! :huh: Glad to hear you take care of your equipment!! Most don't pay attention to our advice printed in the catalog about proper care for the tools and they end up paying for their mistakes. Yeah we have the revised addition(revised about 8 years ago i believe). Your's is probably a little outdated LOL!!! Ha!Ha! Hope all is well TTYL!

:ermm: Just a thought to crunch on. Wouldnt It be cheaper and less of a hassle to just have someone lIke F.A.S.T of Kevin do the port job. After all the books and the tools you will be into quite a bit of money not to mention the $250 + set of cylinders. I think its awsome to say you built your own bike. IF you are somewhat mechanicly inclined then you can due pretty much the entire bike yourself. But something like port work can make or brake the whole build, and no one would think any less of a pro port job on your bike. I am not bieng rude I have had a few ppl now that have wanted to try there own and just end up having to hunt down new cylinders. And there are a few guys on here that have ported there own and been real sucsseful. So what ever you decide works for you. I would just look into both ways and compare the good and the bad before I spent the money. Either way good luck with your build.

:geek: Yeah tools are only as good as the man (or woman :kiss: ) who uses them. You can have the best equipment in the world and still do a bad job if you don't know what you doing!! But if it is something they are interested in and something they may use more than once then take the test and learn. F.A.S.T. are good at what they do and have bought equipment from us but like I said the tools are only as good as the man who uses them. You gotta have patience and always remember you can take more out but you can't put it back!!! LOL!!