Slides backwards causing jetting change?

ETR174

It fires when kicked and goes brap. Must run good

Not exactly. It would start up, revv high for a few seconds and bogg down to idle and then die within 20 seconds of no throttle. I couldn't spin the tires in my back lawn so thats when I went and double checked everything.

OK, I just read through 15 pages of bullshit. In a weird sorta way, I'm gonna stick up for the kid. Although there are many very intelligent Banshee tuners here, how many of you were changing carb jets at 15? Hell, when I was 15, I bought new sparkplugs for my car because they were rusty on the outside. Yeah, he insisted it "ran fine", and cousins uncles whatever said it was fine, but nobody here thought to tell him to check and see if the slides were in backwards. He figured that out on his own. Give him some credit for that. I personally have never put slides in backwards. I saw it on BHQ where someone said, "All I did was cleaned the carbs and now it runs like ass". Someone mentioned the slides and sure enough, that was the problem. That got me to thinking, sure enough, that makes sense. If the cutaway is towards the motor, the non cutaway side is going to act like cupping your hand over the carb and creating a much higher vacuum at the needle jet and sucking in more fuel. This fuckup only occurs on stock Banshee carbs. Nowhere else on the planet, that I know of. So, in diagnosing someones problem, sometimes it's hard to visualize what kind of stupid mistake someone could have done to CREATE a problem that doesn't occur naturally. You've got to give the kid credit for trying to fix it. A lot of people would have just said, "screw it, I can't figure it out. I'm just gonna buy another set of carbs."

• Like 1

I just want to straighten this out. I know backwards slides will effect pilot jets but will it effect mains too?

Yes and no. It does not affect the pilot circuit at all. It has it's own air source. That little round hole at the edge of the carb bell. However, in theory, having the slides in backwards should make it run slobbery rich EVERYWHERE EXCEPT full throttle. At full throttle the slide is all the way out of the air stream and not affecting anything. Like I mentioned, I've never personally done it. Just heard of it and applied logic to what is going on. Now stick some realistic size jets in there and let her rip.

I don't know what you have in it for pilots now, but you probably need 27.5 pilots.

Ok I have them in stock luckily. I have 25 currently. I tried starting it not touched after switching the slides over and the right silencer is still putting out a little smoke and the left is putting out no smoke. Any thoughts on that? Also when I kicked it over after that it ran a lot better and then it ran like crap. Probably burnt up the rest of that gas sitting from the slides turned the other way.

27.5 - 30 pilot

Needle second clip from bottom

280 mains

Glad YOU figured it out, but people can only come up with so many ideas. Thing is, folks told you there was an issue. Up to the guy with the bike in his hands to really look things over with a fine tooth comb.

DO NOT RIDE OR START IT WITH OUT THE ABOVE JETTING

Starwriter, I was jetting at 15. You should see the pile of pistons I accumulated. But it got me the right experience early. Now it's been years since I've melted a motor down due to ill tuning.

27.5 - 30 pilot

Needle second clip from bottom

280 mains

Glad YOU figured it out, but people can only come up with so many ideas. Thing is, folks told you there was an issue. Up to the guy with the bike in his hands to really look things over with a fine tooth comb.

DO NOT RIDE OR START IT WITH OUT THE ABOVE JETTING

Starwriter, I was jetting at 15. You should see the pile of pistons I accumulated. But it got me the right experience early. Now it's been years since I've melted a motor down due to ill tuning.

I just got into all this though. I agree I was a lazy ass about it and never researched anything about it. I am in the process of rejecting as we speaking and I want to try 27.5 and 270 first as a guy around my neighborhood on here had the same set up and that is what he ran.

I just got into all this though. I agree I was a lazy ass about it and never researched anything about it. I am in the process of rejecting as we speaking and I want to try 27.5 and 270 first as a guy around my neighborhood on here had the same set up and that is what he ran.

Well, if you have a set of 280's I'd suggest starting higher. If you are insistent on the 270's be easy on it. Ease..... in to the throttle in the higher RPM's after 5th or 6th. If it hesitates, chokes, or caughs, you have an issue. Don't think one more full throttle will fix it either.

Also, if this guy around he neighborhood had anything to do with your 400 mains, I'd suggest not doing anything he does till looking around and making damn certain it's right. He's potentially as clueless as you.

Edited by trickedcarbine

Well, if you have a set of 280's I'd suggest starting higher. If you are insistent on the 270's be easy on it. Ease..... in to the throttle in the higher RPM's after 5th or 6th. If it hesitates, chokes, or caughs, you have an issue. Don't think one more full throttle will fix it either.

Also, if this guy around he neighborhood had anything to do with your 400 mains, I'd suggest not doing anything he does till looking around and making damn certain it's right. He's potentially as clueless as you.

400 mains? Where did you hear I tried running 400 mains at? I had 180's and no that's not him.