US ammo shortage ?

tdod101

So I've been reading about the US having a national ammo shortage of many calibers. I.e. 9mm .22lr and .223 and 7.62x39mm

What kind of prices are you guys paying for this stuff ? And how readily available is it ? I know media outlets like to propse doom and gloom outlooks so I was wondering what YOUR personal experience is.

The above mentioned calibers here in Canada are readily available and go for dirt cheap. I recently bought 300 rounds of .22lr for about $8.00

I can get a case of 1200 non corrosive 7.62x39mm for $300

Remmington .223 I can get 1000 rounds for $400

Not sure about 9mm cause I don't have a handgun...yet

There was an article that came out about a year ago stating that the D.H.S. (department of homeland security), Center for disease control, Military, and the national weather service were all buying very large amounts of ammo. Mostly 40 cal and .223/5.56. I think that some of these non-law enforcement agency's were able to buy it through a surplus in budgeting. The article was in Time magazine and was very odd to me given that some of these agency's  were buying millions of rounds. As far as .22lr, there is still a huge shortage here in Michigan. I tried ordering some from Midwayusa.com and they have been pushing me back each time for my .22lr order. Even 22-250 has been sold out everywhere and that's not a common round. 9mm is starting to make a comeback. I just bought some cheap stuff for $23 per 100. In my opinion, I think that Gov. wants to have control over this and is understanding that they can't stop people from getting guns, but they can affect how easily you can get or afford ammo. Given the fact that 22lr is a universal round that can be used for many different purposes makes it a hot commodity right now. 

Why .22 though ? There's is absolutely no shortage here for it. They sell it buy the bucket in some stores. 1000 rounds for like $20

Because 5000rnds of .223 is "enough", while 25,000 rounds of .22lr is "enough". Not hard to shoot 1000 rounds of .22lr in a day...

about the same, .22 is hard to find. 762x39 is around by the case, same with .223, .556. 9mm all can be had,

same here. i can readily buy everything but .22lr. ive been working on a couple quads for a guy that has a stock pile of it though. i trade work for bullets. :ph34r:

Actually here 5.56 was easy enough to find during the "scare" while .223 wasnt. My theory is the rednecks didnt know any better. :D

I stock up on powder, bullets and primers often. Hoard the shit out of those 3 things for all of my calibers so I can always have rounds when they get hard to buy loaded.

• Like 1