eyeball engineering A arms

06BCBANSHEE

hey guys

pretty much a new member, joined last year but havent posted much. kinda forgot about the site. but anyways im here now just thought id get your guys input. I recentlly bought some eyeball engineering a arms. I believe they are +2 + 1 . But not sure. the lower a arm measures 17'' to the ball joint. and the upper is 15". are these arms any good? I want to get some better front shocks and im torn between the works steelers or the stage 2 elkas. I do mostly trail riding, jump a fair bit nothing huge 5-10 ft, stockers suck. would like to occasionally hit up the mx track.

lemme know your guys opininons. thanks alot!

are the elka stage 2 a better shock than the works steelers with rezzy?

Yes and No.

Yes they use better quality components. (Machined piston, rather than powder pressed, billet rod ends, heims rather than bushings).

No, because you won't notice the ride quality difference between the two.

Basically, I've said this many times in the past. A PROPERLY set up pair of works steelers, will outperform Elka stage 4's, or even the best set of Axis shocks you can buy. Without getting into the details, and boring you with at that mumbo jumbo, Elka uses a valving system that is identical offroad shocks, and automotive shocks. Works uses a different type of valving setup, that utilizes springs and check balls. They are totally different animals internally.

If the prices are the same, go with the Elkas. If the Works are significantly cheaper, go with the Works shocks. Reservoirs serve two purposes: The most important purpose is that they keep the nitrogen and oil seperate, via a nitrogen bladder or an internal floating piston (IFP) in the reservoir. The second is they help the oil cool. The cooling factor doesn't come into play for about 99% of riders, as ATV shocks don't displace enough oil, or generate enough heat for that to be a factor. Non reservoir shocks are an "emulsion" shock: The oil and nitrogen are together, in one body, blending together. This can be an issue after prolonged periods of riding, where the oil and nitrogen get whipped up in a "foam". This is where you get the term "Shock Fade" from. As the oil gets whipped up, the viscosity changes, and your shocks will begin to feel pogo-ish.

Just my two cents.

Yes and No.

Yes they use better quality components. (Machined piston, rather than powder pressed, billet rod ends, heims rather than bushings).

No, because you won't notice the ride quality difference between the two.

Basically, I've said this many times in the past. A PROPERLY set up pair of works steelers, will outperform Elka stage 4's, or even the best set of Axis shocks you can buy. Without getting into the details, and boring you with at that mumbo jumbo, Elka uses a valving system that is identical offroad shocks, and automotive shocks. Works uses a different type of valving setup, that utilizes springs and check balls. They are totally different animals internally.

If the prices are the same, go with the Elkas. If the Works are significantly cheaper, go with the Works shocks. Reservoirs serve two purposes: The most important purpose is that they keep the nitrogen and oil seperate, via a nitrogen bladder or an internal floating piston (IFP) in the reservoir. The second is they help the oil cool. The cooling factor doesn't come into play for about 99% of riders, as ATV shocks don't displace enough oil, or generate enough heat for that to be a factor. Non reservoir shocks are an "emulsion" shock: The oil and nitrogen are together, in one body, blending together. This can be an issue after prolonged periods of riding, where the oil and nitrogen get whipped up in a "foam". This is where you get the term "Shock Fade" from. As the oil gets whipped up, the viscosity changes, and your shocks will begin to feel pogo-ish.

Just my two cents.

I checked out your website matt, and have heard nothing but good things about SO CAL. Do you sell shocks by any chance? or do you just rebuilt them? I live in BC, and havent had any luck finding used ones, So I have been looking on ebay. I would prefer to buy used and get them rebuilt and set up from you, these are what i have been looking at. For a 175lb 180-185 ish with gear, doing mostly trails, some jumping, would like to occasionally go to the mx track, stock cant handle too much. Right now im bottoming out after about 6 feet of air. thanks for your input man, muchly appreciated!! :cheers:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-Banshee-front-14-75-in-shocks-w-Rez-131-160-mx-/330508153173?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4cf3d23155

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Works-G-Series-Front-Reservoir-Shocks-Yamaha-Banshee-/140213739927?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20a563e197

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Elka-Stage-2-Front-Shocks-Yamaha-Banshee-350-Suspension-/400199147485?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d2dba5fdd

btw i have eyeball +2 +1 A arms. I think thats what they are their about 17'' and 15'' long from the end to the end of the ball joint. picked them up for $100 bucks

Edited by 06BCBANSHEE

Unfortunately, my prices on shocks aren't going to save you any money. I don't do enough volume to compete with a lot of sellers on eBay. Here's my opinion.

When you're building/buying a shock, there are a couple things to keep in mind. Your riding style/type, dictates what your valving will be. Your rider weight will dictate the springs you will need. For the most part, I can compensate for a little heavier rider, by valving the shocks a little bit stiffer to help slow down the compression when landing a jump.

With that in mind, the first set of shocks should be out of the question, as they are set up for 131-160lb rider. That's too much of a weight difference to compensate with valving.

The second set are the Works G-Series. They are VERY good shocks, and have all the options of the Elka stage 3's, without the price tag.

The third set are Elka Stage 2's, which have no rebound or compression adjustment.

If the choice was between those 3 shocks, and only those 3 shocks, I would go with the G-Series. Hands down.

i was also thinking about these as well. whats the differance between triple rate and dual rate springs?

they say they are able to be set up for your weight, riding style, a arms etc as well.

you have any used ones you would be willing to sell matt?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Works-Front-Reservoir-Shocks-Yamaha-Banshee-Triple-Rate-/120230728397?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1bfe4f52cd

i was also thinking about these as well. whats the differance between triple rate and dual rate springs?

they say they are able to be set up for your weight, riding style, a arms etc as well.

you have any used ones you would be willing to sell matt?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Works-Front-Reservoir-Shocks-Yamaha-Banshee-Triple-Rate-/120230728397?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1bfe4f52cd

No used ones right now. But the g-series are WAY better shocks than those ones.

If you have a choice, get dual rate. Banshees are very front heavy and eat up the third spring with just their weight alone. It won't HURT to get triple rate, but you won't gain anything either.