ignition timing

Joejr915

Weight tire size and track surface? compression real high? Might be a little 2 much timing but plug looked right to me

I agree the plugs don't look bad, but a correct plug reading doesn't always equal the quickest ET & best MPH.

IMO, our best indicator for timing & fuel has always been using mph thru the traps. While I've never ran the specific distance of 500'. I've ran 300', 1/8 mile & 1/4 mile & I would imagine he should be in the 96-101 mph range on a good run.

The easiest test would be change his timing -2* & see if the mph picks up. I don't think it's safe to add timing, by looking at the strap.

I would drop the timing to 6 and try that

you will definitely gain more rpm at the finish line =mph

Might not have to gear

also @+10 with that squish and 108 octane I can bet that the motor is detonating which is also why its not pulling

past 350ft

I was running 90-94mph I need to be in the 98-101 range thats about what everyone else runs. If I turn back the timing will I need to regear it. Which the gearing and timing I run now it comes out awesome just the big end I need to figure out.

I will start by saying a quicker ET will always win a race regardless of mph. Your 90-94 mph will beat 98-101 mph with a quicker ET, as long as your reaction time is equal to or better than your opponent or you have no other infraction like a red light or other rules infraction.

Anyway, is there ET to be found with raising your mph, with that much difference there's (IMO). Backing your timing down is just a simple test to see if your mph raises. If it doesn't you simply go back to what you had. If the mph increases you keep lowering the timing until it stops showing an improvement.

If lowering timing doesn't show improvement. It's time to start working on another area of the tuning area. I most always start with things that cost nothing, but a little time.

If lowering the timing does improve mph, it may very well affect your ET. Other areas may have to be changed to get your ET back or improve it.

• Like 1

Wait? There's no magic setup that hold true for every bike that will automatically make a guy the fastest at the track with no time, tunning, learning, or money spent???? I mean someone should surely give that info to help another racer....right?

Wait? There's no magic setup that hold true for every bike that will automatically make a guy the fastest at the track with no time, tunning, learning, or money spent???? I mean someone should surely give that info to help another racer....right?

Honest question, how many times have you been asked outright for your entire set up by some joe who honestly thinks he can take your specs and apply them to a totally different set up and expect it to work?

In my opinion to much compression causing the engine to fight itself. Is this a k&t motor?

It may be too much compression if the rest of the combo is not right. We have ran 109-110 mph in the 1/8 & 125+ mph in the 1/4 mile with that much compression. We prefer to run it a tad lower, but I wouldn't hesitate to run that compression or more for 500'.

It really doesn't matter what the OP does, but the tune for shorter distances is much more aggressive in most cases. Than the tune for longer distances.

[quote

It really doesn't matter what the OP does, but the tune for shorter distances is much more aggressive in most cases. Than the tune for longer distances. this is very true. The complete build is different to be ideal. Not saying you cant make a 1/4 mile bike fast in 300'. But if the same tuner had a purpose built 300'bike they would be better off. Rec to op back of timing like sty said cause its free. If that dont work id look into some new domes

this is very true. The complete build is different to be ideal. Not saying you cant make a 1/4 mile bike fast in 300'. But if the same tuner had a purpose built 300'bike they would be better off. Rec to op back of timing like sty said cause its free. If that dont work id look into some new domes

There would be other free areas I would play with before buying domes, but that's me. A dome change is a good choice, but almost always takes more than one dome change. IMO, Tim at Titan Racing is the best for dome design/cutting. 

I ran 660ft on my old 421 and ran a timing plate with a dynatek

I would set the plate on +5 and the box would add 3-5 and slowly retard it's self down the track

My motor for some reason wouldn't hole shot like I wanted with out high timing then stopped pulling until I got it back down..don't know if it will work for everyone but I liked it lol