2 into 1carb jetting

jeff n

I just bought a 97 alba edition, newer top end, no port work, open air filter, trinity stage 4 2 into 1 carb with pkw keihen 35mm -52 pilot and 155 main and fmf fatty pipes with a dent in left side. I got it cheap because it was running super rich and the kid had no idea what he had. it had been running so rich for so long the inside of the silencers had almost 3/16" build up on the tube.

(took over an hr to clean) I packed the silencer, flushed fuel tank, new spark plugs, checked reeds, changed pilot to a 50 and main to a 150,and ordered new set of fatties(not in yet) it is now running better but still not right. I know the dent in the pipe will make a big difference. I'm wondering what is a good staring point on jets to start with when my pipes come in? any advice is appreciated.  

Would be much easier in the long run to sell your 2 into 1 and put stock carbs back on it. I assure you it will run way better with 2 on it than one. If you insist on running what you got then like stated above needle is super important on that setup

not sure what kind of needle it has but it is on it but it is on the middle clip. since I bought the bike with this set up

, I have read a lot of mixed reviews. some hate, some love it but nothing in between. but the constant thing I have read is that trinity is the worst 2 into 1 set up out there. I want to go back with duel carbs but I have to work with this for a bit.($$$) 

Exactly. There are no good running bikes that show up to any of the group rides with single carbs to prove you wrong.

Oh wait, yes there are. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-EXCITER-440-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-/231443251395?hash=item35e317c0c3&vxp=mtr

Hey dumb ass did I say it was not possible to make one run right with a single on it????????? No I simply said it was easier to put duals back on it and that it would run better. I have seen some bikes that ran very well with a single but when they put 2 carbs back on them they ran even better!

it's crazy how strong and different everyone's opinions are. I have to work with what I got for a while no matter what. maybe by the time I can afford a new set up, I will have figured this one out.  but still, any advise on jet sizes? new pipes are on and is running a lot better but still running rich(a lot of smoke) mostly on top. still don't know what needle I have but the clip is 1 up from the middle.(dropping the needle) I was wrong when I said I had a 50 pilot, its a 45.