Grand River Racing's Inframe the Hooker and the Stripper

O.G.

Yes, that was a serious question. I'm just trying to learn.

So you would port a MX motor the exact same as a drag racing motor?

Ok. Serious question. Let's use this senerio. If you called me up and said I want to build a bad ass Mx motor this winter. I would recommend a few things and price options. You say ill do the 550. Pro port., carbs and the whole deal. Ok. I would build his engine IDENTICAL to a guy that wanted the Pro Port and drag race it. Now. When I build your pipes for this new Mx setup I change the power band to make it ride like it's supposed to and come out of the corners hard. Same engine different pipe.

Just want to make sure I understand the new pipes, My stock bore stock stroke (350) gets the same pipes as my 7 mill bigbore Twister (568)?

If you want the stamped pipe. Yes. Your bore size won't change my pipe dimensions. The stroke will change it. With a bore that big you need big flanges on your cylinders. Big flanges need hand rolled pipes. If you have small flanges, you need a new engine builder not a new pipe!

Ok. Serious question. Let's use this senerio. If you called me up and said I want to build a bad ass Mx motor this winter. I would recommend a few things and price options. You say ill do the 550. Pro port., carbs and the whole deal. Ok. I would build his engine IDENTICAL to a guy that wanted the Pro Port and drag race it. Now. When I build your pipes for this new Mx setup I change the power band to make it ride like it's supposed to and come out of the corners hard. Same engine different pipe.

interesting stuff

I'm guessing most guys now a days hear this from there engine builder?

Hey I really don't know what I'm doing so ill grind the fu&" otta your exhaust port, then I'll sell you some v-force reeds, set of 35's, and a set of shearers. Oh you want Mx. Shit. I'll leave the exhaust low I guess, keep your stock carbs and get a set of fmf's. Sound familiar? Huh.?

I'm guessing most guys now a days hear this from there engine builder?

Hey I really don't know what I'm doing so ill grind the fu&" otta your exhaust port, then I'll sell you some v-force reeds, set of 35's, and a set of shearers. Oh you want Mx. Shit. I'll leave the exhaust low I guess, keep your stock carbs and get a set of fmf's. Sound familiar? Huh.?

thats kinda funny. probly happens more than people think :lol:

This is pretty close to how Doc Fang Engineering does his two stroke stuff. It has done more then prove it self in the sled world. Needless to say, the motor he just did for my buddy's banshee is near 90 hp on T5's with extremely usable curve. There is just as much transfer work as a few drag cyls I've seen lately. He honestly didn't get to crazy with the timings either.

If you want the stamped pipe. Yes. Your bore size won't change my pipe dimensions. The stroke will change it. With a bore that big you need big flanges on your cylinders. Big flanges need hand rolled pipes. If you have small flanges, you need a new engine builder not a new pipe!

Twister cylinders have a bolt on flange made of thin steel tubing, my flanges are 43 millimeter ID. My 10 mill DM was ported by Mccoy, it made 140 with 43 millimeter ID exhaust flanges.

My builder would not waste time putting a big flange on a big Twister cylinder when the head studs block off the triple ports.

in all reality the "mx" port that i do is very similar to the "drag" port i would do.  the biggest difference is in how much would someone pay for it.   that would result in how much work i would do for it.  im sure anyone you call that builds motors you said  hey asshole  i only have 150 bucks to spend and i wand a "drag port"  would not get as much work ( time spent) as the guy who said i dont care what it cost's  just build it  both types of motor HOWEVER would have completely different port timings, angles of the transfer's and exhaust port shapes and size,   the no holds barred would both be fully welded cyls but have power bands in differnt realms of runnin.  so building one style of motor and thats it  then expecting the pipe to do all the work is a little ludacrist..  

THIS IS MY OPINION SO IF YOU GET PISSED WELL TO BAD pt mids suck.  for a mx pipe you might as well run modded stockers. they do have a very nice clearance for your legs  but power wise i dont see how they can be called the bad ass mx pipe..  in the last few years i have found 2 pipes that offer much stronger low end and midrage pull.  the only reason MOST like the pt is because they really dont do shit and have nearly no pipe hit.  so that means less wear on the rider ( due to lack of real training if actually in mx racing) i personally feel a predictable power band is much easier to ride.   in mx type riding,..   dunes also seem to favor this type of motor output as well.  

ah who the hell cares anyways!

Hey man. I don't get pissed. Just chuckle a little. Remembering this crazy fucker I built a drag bike for. Had a set of PT's on it. Pretty much cleaned up at silver lake on the holidays. Yea guessing those pipes had a pretty flat curve. have you actually ever rode a banshee you didn't have to shift? How many rpm's you drop on the gear change? This is why you need the flat powerband. Trust me, you ain't out riding me, and I loved those Paul turners. That also reminds me of a few runs at silver lake sand dragway. 4.2's on FMF fatty's. Full frame bike. I had three inframe pipes in testing that day. FMF beat them all. Take a guess what didn't make the cut. Which pipe you think I tested mine against to make faster?

If you want serious power run the dyno I guess, if you want to win the fucking race, buy what works.

Ahhh who cares anyway right? Oh maybe the guy that's tired of his engine builder telling him how much power he has, but can't run shit.

Ludacrist. Ha, man, I'm dying here! Take the pipe off and see what kind of power you have. Put the ports anywhere you like. When the pipe is built properly it will put the power where the pipe is built too. Let's think about this for a min. If you grind the exhaust port to 200 and raise the transfers to 130 something. This is now a high rpm drag engine? Makes sense I guess. How high will it rev with the stock pipe? Oh shit maybe the pipe DOES control the power band. Shit that reminds me again of how many drag races I won with those stupid stock pipes!!