Hard to start

Hi I've got a 98 banshee, over the winter I put in v force 4 reeds, and a timing plate and set it at +4. Replaced the 260 mains with 280s, 30 pilots, cleaned the carbs really good. Now it is a PAIN in the ass to get started. I know it's bad for it but I sprayed a bit of carb spray to finally get it started. Let it idle for a few minutes with the help of throttle control. Let off the throttle, idles perfectly. Shut it off, starts right back up. Lazer thermometer on the exhaust pipes and they were within 4 degrees so I don't think it's an air leak. Is this just a matter of bigger pilots?

compression could be getting low. ive never neede 30 pilots in stock carbs even with bigger motors.

^ this^

Your compression is good if your still running a stock head according to what you previously stated.

Drop down to a 27.5 and 1.5 turns out on your pilot air screw. Report back afterwards

I messed around with the quad a little more, I forgot to unscrew the fuel screw 1.5 turns, I cleaned the carbs took the screws out and just didn't have it adjusted correctly, it ran good for about ten minutes... Shut down in the middle of a field, would not even fire. Pushed it back to the garage and took the stator cover off. Flywheel nut came loose, woodruff key fell out, and stripped one off the bolts that holds the stator on the timing plate, making everything out of time. I didn't use lock tight, so save yourself the hassle and lock tight that nut!