T6 pipes but no Uni Vents. Still use 280 mains or go slightly smaller?

JAYSEM

Hey BansheeHQ,

Like the title states, I just purchased some Toomey T6 pipes for my COMPLETELY stock 2006 bike, but do not have the Uni vents for the airbox. Should I still go with the 280 main jets or should I go smaller (like 270) since I am not using the vents? The air box lid is staying on as well, just no snorkel. I will be using the stock needle in the same position as it is now, I am not touching this. I also did not plan on touching the air idle screw either. The plan was to pull the carbs, swap mains out for the 280's, bolt pipes up and go. Should I have any issues with this? I am located in CT so I'm at sea level. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jaysem

So why are you only willing to change the jets? If you want to bike to run right you may need to do more than just change the main jets. Yes 280 mains will probably be to big if you are not giving it more air. I would say you will probably be around the 250 to 260 area without adding air. You should be more open to changing more than just the mains if you want to get the full value out of what you bought!

I would ditch that stock air box for some K & N pod filters and outerwears you just gotta be careful in water with pods .Outerwears do work well though. Lmk if you need 270 s and I will send em to ya

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

So why are you only willing to change the jets? If you want to bike to run right you may need to do more than just change the main jets. Yes 280 mains will probably be to big if you are not giving it more air. I would say you will probably be around the 250 to 260 area without adding air. You should be more open to changing more than just the mains if you want to get the full value out of what you bought!

Its not that I am not willing to add air, I'm asking strictly because I bought the pipes used and they did not come with a complete jet kit. The seller was super cool and threw some 280's in for free; so all I have is the jets and the pipes. i just don't have the vents. I called a local Yamaha dealer and they have some Uni vents in stock, so Im just gonna head over and pick them up. It's only 20 bucks for 12 of them. I also called Toomey up and they said it didn't even matter if i didnt have the vents. Just drilling the 12 1-inch holes in the box would be perfectly fine, but i'm going to grab the vents. So during the pipe install I'll go ahead and get that done and run the 280's.

I would ditch that stock air box for some K & N pod filters and outerwears you just gotta be careful in water with pods .Outerwears do work well though. Lmk if you need 270 s and I will send em to ya

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you sir. But no need. Since Im going to pick up the vents, the 280's should be fine.

Thank you to all who offered help and advice.

I bought the Uni Vents for the airbox but have a quick question on the needles. I did search and I see that stock needles will be fine to use since I don't have the Toomey needles. My question is, what groove should I be in? Toomey's install doc for the T6 pipes says that the clip should be in the 4th position on their needles. I don't know what the difference between the stock and Toomey needle is so I'm wondering if I should move the clip to the 4th position on the stock needles or does that only apply for the Toomey pieces? Should I leave my stock needles at 3 or move to 4?

Thanks again gentlemen.

Jaysem

So I figured I would call Toomey and ask them what their thoughts on clip placement was for stock needles. The guy I spoke too basically said stock needles wouldn't work regardless of needle position and that I would seize my bike up if I tried to use the stock ones. WTF!?!! He said I ABSOLUTELY need the Toomey needles and that he was currently doing a top end on someones bike because they used stock needles causing it to seize up the bike. Wow. Im confused. Thoughts on this?? Was I just fed a huge bowl of steaming BS?

You were just feed a huge bowl of BS!!!! My wife and daughter both ride bikes with stock needles and toomey pipes on them. Leave your clip in the position it is in put a bigger main in it and see what your plugs look like. You will only burn your motor up if you run it way lean

You were just feed a huge bowl of BS!!!! My wife and daughter both ride bikes with stock needles and toomey pipes on them. Leave your clip in the position it is in put a bigger main in it and see what your plugs look like. You will only burn your motor up if you run it way lean

As he was telling me this, I just wanted to hang up on him. No disrespect but I knew he was full of shit. I could see if he told me that he recommended the Toomey's because they developed the kit to work together, or that he couldn't recommend a setting on the stock needle because he didn't want to be responsible for the results, but to flat out tell me that the stock needles would NOT WORK regardless of setting and that my bike WILL SEIZE, was kinda ridiculous. Whatever though, moving on.

So you left your clip on the needle in the stock position? 3rd notch? Just increased jet size? What mains are you running? Elevation?

Anyone else have any advice for clip placement on stock needles, for a stock bike with T6 and 280's at sea level?

I am at sea level and both my stock bikes are running dual pods so it is a little different. The needle you will just need to play with and see what your bike likes. It is fine to start on the 3rd notch. You are going to be fat with 280 mains so you are not going to hurt anything. I am guessing you will end up with 260 or 270 mains. I have 280 mains in my stock bikes with pipes and dual filters.