New motor won't perform above 1/8 throttle

chrispy56

leak test your coolant system.  shake the flywheel  if it rattles  magnets are coming apart.  also look across the top  if its warped may have been taken off with a 3 jaw..  thats a dead giveaway. 

check ground drop on the stator plate to the main ground on the harness also.  

I have had a pressure test go well but o rings still leak when hot , usually protocall for me is pressure test, compression test, check pick up, plug cap ohm reading(never good), cable play carb sync , before I even kick someone elses bike. I had a bad experiance a few years back , a well known builder built this kids motor but he needed it tuned didnt do my usual machanical testing and I blew a hole in piston within 20ft from my driveway , turned out to be not enouph cas sealant behind crank just plain out missed 3 inches. Im sure piston was already going b4 it got to me

Should have done it sooner...checked compression-60psi in each cylinder. Not sure how it could run with compression like that. I will pull the head and inspect.

Things to look for?

The 4mil with stock cylinders from HJR should use 795 pistons correct?

I will tear it down this week, hopefully I find my problem.

That's maybe a tad high on the squish but doesn't explain your low PSI. Did you kick it over at WOT until the gauge stopped moving? What was the ring end gap? Was it bored at a machine shop that had the pistons on hand to measure? Was it honed?

Yes. I kicked until the the dial quit moving and then some.

End gap was to spec from what I remember...I will double check tomorrow.

Bored and honed and ported by HJR and he had all parts in hand.

I appreciate all the suggestions and please keep them coming as I am running out of ideas. Very frustrating.

Okay I just read this is a hjr motor. I had an hjr motor. Now I don't.

When I got everything together my squish was a little loose. I called Kevin he said all good. I asked about jetting. He gave me a point to start. Well I got the bike running. Not like a 4 mil tho. So I call Kevin, he would just say play with it your close. And that was it.

So after a season of "playing with it" a unrelated issue took out my motor. Went to a local builder, and he pointed out that my domes were wrong, and the porting was a little excessive for what I was doing and the port I was told it was. So my dealing with hjr left a sour taste in my mouth and a unhappy costumer.

Now I know I'm going to get pm's that I'm an idiot, don't know what I'm talking about, but this was my personal dealing with hjr. I also know of another member that had exactly the same issues as me.

Okay I just read this is a hjr motor. I had an hjr motor. Now I don't.

When I got everything together my squish was a little loose. I called Kevin he said all good. I asked about jetting. He gave me a point to start. Well I got the bike running. Not like a 4 mil tho. So I call Kevin, he would just say play with it your close. And that was it.

So after a season of "playing with it" a unrelated issue took out my motor. Went to a local builder, and he pointed out that my domes were wrong, and the porting was a little excessive for what I was doing and the port I was told it was. So my dealing with hjr left a sour taste in my mouth and a unhappy costumer.

Now I know I'm going to get pm's that I'm an idiot, don't know what I'm talking about, but this was my personal dealing with hjr. I also know of another member that had exactly the same issues as me.

What exactly was the issue with your domes? Was your compression low or just an excessive squish band?