Downgrade from pods to airbox w/o lid

I downgraded around winter time from K&N pods to a factory airbox w/o lid. It was winter so I kept the same jets but now it's warming up and I was wondering if I would need to change my 35 pilot to a 27.5 along with decreasing my 330 main to maybe a 310 to start with.

I think it should probably read "30 pilots to 27.5 pilots".

You can tell if your pilots are too big if your airscrews are turned more than 2.5x out from full closed.

You want your throttle snappy right off idle.

Ideally you want your airscrews ~1.5 turns out from full closed.

Do a proper plug chop to see if your main jets are the correct size.

I downgraded around winter time from K&N pods to a factory airbox w/o lid. It was winter so I kept the same jets but now it's warming up and I was wondering if I would need to change my 35 pilot to a 27.5 along with decreasing my 330 main to maybe a 310 to start with.

Am I reading that right???? You were running a stock box with a lid and 330 mains?????????

• Like 1

No, you're not reading it right. I had 330 mains with aftermarket k&n pod airfilters. Then this winter I downgraded to a factory airbox without the lid and k&n stock filter. Being that it was winter, I decided to keep my jets the same until spring cause I hardly rode it during winter. Now it's spring time and warming up, I need to get it jetted properly. My current jets are 35 pilots and 330 mains. Air screws are 2.5 out and plugs are dark black. I just need to know if I need to change pilots. & I've already done a plug chop. I think I'm gonna start with 310s

what is your entire mod list?

what is your elevation and avg. air temp?

Are your running 35 pilots in stock carbs?

I didn't even know they made 35 pilots for stock carbs.

If you're indeed running 35 pilots, then your next step down to lean it out would be 32.5's.

I bought it from a guy a year ago. Toomey T5s, he said something about rods but I don't know if it's a stroker...., stock carbs, airbox w/o lid w/ k&n, boyseen power reeds, .30 pistons he said. I haven't been in the motor yet so this is all off what the man told me. The banshee ran like a champ when I got it, but based on my muddy, wet conditions I had to get a airbox. & elevation: 818 , average temp: 70-75

Do you suspect the motor has port work and can possibly be stroked.

Stock stroke is 54mm.

You can find out what stroke crank you have w/out tearing the motor apart.

If interested, I can elaborate.

I would perform a leak down test to make sure you don't have an air leak.

An air leak will create a lean condition and cause the motor to require more fuel.

Make sure the intake boots don't have any cracks around where the cross-over tube attaches.

If the reed cage gaskets are bad an air leak there will definitely cause a lean condition.

There is absolutely no reason at all why your motor requires 35 pilots and only 330 mains.

There is absolutely no reason at all why your motor requires 35 pilots and only 330 mains.

Well everyone thinks their machine runs great. Everyone makes arm ripping power. They are also the same cats that want to find a way to make their exhaust louder.

Reality is....once this messed up jetting gets fixed.....he's going to grab a handful of throttle and shit his pants. LOL

So I need to get my plugs so they are brown right? Or tan?

Cardboard box and dry.