ignition timing

Joejr915

post-35484-14076833507203_thumb.jpg

Here is the up to date plug check. I consistently ran 6.1s any 94-96mph. I changed my timing from 10* to 8* felt much better. Also i went from 2.4 at the beginning of the night then switch to 2.375 gearing didn't go any faster. Do u think my clutch maybe slipping now? Any ideas on what to do now? I still beat every one to just pass half track then they go around me. They ran from 99-103mph

attachicon.gif20140809_140340.jpg

Here is the up to date plug check. I consistently ran 6.1s any 94-96mph. I changed my timing from 10* to 8* felt much better. Also i went from 2.4 at the beginning of the night then switch to 2.375 gearing didn't go any faster. Do u think my clutch maybe slipping now? Any ideas on what to do now? I still beat every one to just pass half track then they go around me. They ran from 99-103mph

1st thing would be to cut the threads off them plugs & take a picture of the fuel ring at the base of the porcelain & post it up. 

I was running 90-94mph I need to be in the 98-101 range thats about what everyone else runs. If I turn back the timing will I need to regear it. Which the gearing and timing I run now it comes out awesome just the big end I need to figure out.

attachicon.gif20140809_140340.jpg

The data/information given shows you picked up mph by pulling the timing back to 8*. I would like to see you drop down to 6*, even though the heat mark is in the right place on the ground strap. IMO, this is the only area I would be changing, until it doesn't improve. Then you can move on to other areas, one thing at a time.

I still would like to see the plugs with the threads cut off. This may or may not be the next area to start tuning after the timing exercise is done.

My last 3 passes of the night I backed it to 7* not different in times or mph then also the the end of tge night I let 2 other people run it one person ran a 6.5 at 92mph who weigh 40lbs more then me and another ran 6.3 at 94mph weigh about 100 lbs less then me. Then I went to take it for a run for shits and giggles and the clutch was smoked. It wont even move what is your thought on this issue?

Then I went to take it for a run for shits and giggles and the clutch was smoked. It wont even move what is your thought on this issue?

We get our best ETs out of the 1st 100 passes. The next 100 passes work good for bracket racing. After that they go to shit. We do a lot of different modifications, procedures & steel/friction conditioning to keep the clutch working that long. I don't know how many runs you got on that clutch, but if you have set up to slip out at the launch & if you don't have the arm weights right. They will eat clutches fast.   

About 50passes my guess

If you have that clutch set-up close to what it needs for slip & your not doing the items mentioned below. Plus, some other things I didn't mention. I would only expect 40 to 50 runs out of a clutch. I don't say that to be mean, but I've been there & done that!

We do a lot of different modifications, procedures & steel/friction conditioning to keep the clutch working that long.

What kind of mods and stuff do you do to make a clutch last longer? That would be a good topic to bring up in your lockup thread.

Thanks for keeping the info rolling.

As far as the things mentioned, what are the "modifications, procedures & steel/friction conditioning" you are referring to?

Guys, I have mentioned some of them items in the lock-up tuning thread! I really thought about elaborating more about them, but the intentions of that tuning thread was to provide good old basics of lock-up tuning. Then it's up to the reader's to take it to the next level. The clutch information is out there, but you have to look outside of the ATV world.

No where are you guy's going to find that kind of information compiled into one place & broken down to how it relates directly to ATVs. You may or may not like my answer, but most people charge $$$ for that kind of information; it's only found at BHQ for nothing!

• Like 1

I understand what your saying. ..but why do you say " I hope your doing the things I mentioned " but then not say what they are?

If you don't want to even allude to what the "mods, procedures, and conditioning" are... why even bring it up ?

Not trying to pick an argument, I enjoy reading data and info, but what's the point of being do vague? I don't want anyone to just divulge hard earned info either...so don't take it that way.

• Like 1

As for the clutch frictions we primarily use Yamaha fzr 1000 fibers. We have played with Barnett kevlar and want to try carbon fiber frictions some time soon.

As for the steels, we use different types of materials, treatments & coatings. We have a pretty detailed maintenance & inspection program for the clutch frictions & plates.

Pulled that from 2012 in the lock up thread. Never recall any more info than that