my first polishing attempt

Jgspahn

Hmmmm....... Its just like a pussy. Stand the pad on end and poke it with a finger. The further you penetrate the fiber the looser it is. Lol. Youll need a tight sewn wheel to start with the brown and let up on the pressure. That final hayze will come out just by easing off the wheel. With a soft wheel use the white, lite pressure, enough compound. You never want too little compound. Itll dull the final passes in a hurry.

Might come across as a stupid question, But are you changing wheels with your different compounds? Some people never grasp that concept until asked about it. lol

Also, If you are polishing under a fluorescent light, It will always have a haze to it. Walk out into the sun shine, Im sure some of it will go away. 

I wipe down my parts with come corn starch and a rag sometimes to help remove left over polish from final buffing, Its very fine and works well.

Hope you get them figured out!

Brown on a spiral wheel

White on a spiral wheel

White on a medium wheel

White on a loose wheel

Red or Green on a loose wheel.

Not bad for raw steel Rockets, huh?

D35C9DD4-C1B0-4A61-AA3E-9ECE2D669538-194

That's a mighty nice job, how long did it take to polish them?

And what's the maintanace like?

i have buddies that work at buffing place and they use this brown abrasive bar thats animal fat and a white bar afterwards and then they told me they clean all parts with carb cleaner and takes the black and haze off. no experience with it just what i was told

That's a mighty nice job, how long did it take to polish them?

And what's the maintanace like?

First time from raw to polish was about 8 hours worth of polishing. I'm talking raw dirty stamped steel. I sanded them with 320 to 2000 grit. Then I moved in to the compounds. Once I'm done with the wheels I use Master Formula polish on a soft cloth and clean any residue off then hit them with the Master Formula Sealer Gloss. Let it haze, wipe with a cloth. Good for a year. Occasionally I hit them with the Masterformula polish when I want them to look nice for a race day and that's it. I even ice race them and they stay looking nice as long as I wipe them down. I'll probably buff them this year though.

i have buddies that work at buffing place and they use this brown abrasive bar thats animal fat and a white bar afterwards and then they told me they clean all parts with carb cleaner and takes the black and haze off. no experience with it just what i was told

Brake clean. Carb clean leaves a film that gunks up the next time you polish of clean the parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Kerosene works awesome as an aluminum polish... i drip a little bit on the wheel while its spinning, and start polishing... An old school trucker taught me, he polished all the aluminum on his truck like that...

Kerosene works awesome as an aluminum polish... i drip a little bit on the wheel while its spinning, and start polishing... An old school trucker taught me, he polished all the aluminum on his truck like that...

hmm interesting, I may try that