Smartcarb vs EFI

billybobby

Smart carbs vs EFI!!! I finally melted down my 600.00 kx500, so back to the Outlaw while I build the 500. The dirt bike world is really positive on the smarts. So I called apt up a few months ago thinking lose weight, less complicated, freshen up the motor and try something new. I saw a couple smart carb threads on here with quite a few guys interested and a few guys talking trash. Funny thing though,  none of the trash talkers have tried the carbs on a banshee.

I have ran the EFI kit Kevin Gigot built for about 4yrs now. Yes it was featured in dirt wheels, NO I did not toss the EFI kit! APT offers a money back guarantee... I figured give it a shot if I don't like it I can get my money back and still have FI! APT gave me a great deal! I went for it here is my take.

EFI kit, bads really old and temperamental ms dos tuner, it does not compensate for temp or elevation, FI kit is not mass produced and it weighs more then carbs. Kevin is more then willing and capable to do upgrades (great guy).... just a long trip to get the bike to him. Now the goods absolute ability to fine tune, bike ran incredible, really no carb can compete with the adjustability of efi.

Smarts, bads took longer to get then they said, had to figure out cables, didn't send the right fittings even after I showed them what it needed to fit from another thread and the 36mm carbs fit but it's tight. I read up before I ordered.... sort of expected the shipping and customer service issue's. Chadd did next day me the fittings once I called him! Hopefully it's just growing pains. Now the good from sea level to 7500 bike has ran near perfect, much simpler design, easy easy tuning and light weight.

Which is better?  For me so far (10 rides)  the smart carbs. I rode dunes on Thursday, mountains on Friday and dunes again on Saturday. It was perfect,  my bike runs like a champ. Smoked my buddies worked cr500af at our hill and left my four stroke buddies for dead in the mountains. I like the simplicity of the smart carbs and for my riding style (dunes, mountains, and mx) they work perfectly. The FI kit is a tuners dream, unfortunately it's not mass produced.... Yamaha has failed us! Thank goodness for bad ass's like Kevin Gigot and the APT guys for helping move tech along for us two strokers.

Vids coming just have to do some editing!

• Like 2

That's really odd that whatever efi setup you had didn't correct for temp and elevation. No wonder why it was temperamental! That is literally 90% of the benefit of it Haha. My microsquirt setup copmentsates automatically for elevation and temp. I was actually going to run a pair of smart carbs, but I want to switch between e85 and pump gas whenever, so MS with flex fuel sensor got the nod.

• Like 1

7mill with ported stock cylinders

Metering rods are the regular 3.585q11

Kerry at Ready To Ride rebuilt my motor and modified the stock cable. I can't remember how much he cut but it wasn't much of the cable housing. He builds cables so I wasn't to worried about that.

I read through some of your thread... I know it's been said but banshee's like two carbs. Keep working with them you will get it right.

7mill with ported stock cylinders

Metering rods are the regular 3.585q11

Kerry at Ready To Ride rebuilt my motor and modified the stock cable. I can't remember how much he cut but it wasn't much of the cable housing. He builds cables so I wasn't to worried about that.

I read through some of your thread... I know it's been said but banshee's like two carbs. Keep working with them you will get it right.

Yea, I know the whole 2 carb thing. I just figured the way these were designed, that it would work better than a single pwk. Kinda like lectrons... But obviously not the way it is.

And yea, I'm starting out with them q11's as well. But I'm only runnin a stock stroke mx port. So we'll see how that works out..

your running the stock cable??  the plastic housing in the middle usually dosent have enough room to open larger carbs?

i kinda figured that these carbs needed the correct initial tune before being automatic so to say...   great to hear!!    the EFI is an ancient setup.  some more modernish updates it should work well.