BOWHUNTING.. Post up!

SheezFast02

I have rifle hunted my whole life but only started bowhunting last year. I dropped a little mulie from a ground blind at about 25 yards. I agree it is way more exciting than rifle hunting. I can't wait till the fall to get out again.

As far as the face shot... that is a tough call. I personally try for the boiler room when ever possible but I have know people who swear by the head/neck shot. It is a smaller target so it is harder to hit which means if you miss it is more likely to be a clean miss. If you do hit anything chances are it will be a kill. Between the brain, spine and arteries in the neck it would be hard to not kill. How ever there is still the chance of hitting the jaw or nose and missing those areas that will make for a clean kill and ending up with a wounded animal. Unfortunately that is a chance we all take when hunting no matter where you aim for. I have had an animal get away on me and it is a terrible feeling. I thought I made a good hit... had good blood to start with but it faded away and we lost the trail. I am glad to see that one on the ground.

If its with a gun the neck is fine I just hope your not trying that same shot with a bow. A gun kills by shock or in other words exploding arteries and organs upon impact as where a bow kills by bleeding its victim out. This is why people aim for the shoulder or neck with a rifle, so the bullet will hit something hard to increase its shock value, As where if you took that same shot with a bow the arrow in most cases wont penetrate the shoulder enough to make a quick clean kill. If you put an arrow through the chest cavity of a deer it will die even if you didnt hit a vital organ. As soon as the chest cavity of a deer is cut it loses pressure which will kill the deer in a matter of hours. This is why we say "when in doubt back out ".

And to you yfzandshee dont take me wrong I'm not trying to say nothing bad about the way that you hunt to each his own. My next door neighbors walk through the woods with shotguns and unload on any deer that moves. Last year one of them took a pretty nice eight pointer that had seven holes in it and his gun only holds 6 counting the one in the chamber and he had two left so who knows it was probably his brother that got in the other shots. Ethics change depending on where you live. Here in Maryland we have so many fucking tree huggers that if someone tried to show off a shot like that they would have it in every newspaper calling me a murderer. Not that I give a fuck if they ever walked in my office they would shit with all the antlers and feathers hanging around. Good luck next year lets keep some kinda deer hunting thread going with some pics of our trophies. I know that theres more hunters here then just us.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep, i agree, I'm from missouri I'm sure maryland is much different than here, on another note, what is a a "good" buck around there, Here in Missouri, i wouldn't consider a buck "good" untill its 140" I know its hard to judge when they are still on the hoof, but I wont take a shot at a buck unless i'm very confident that buck will go 150" while rifle hunting. I'm hoping this is my year, I think im due I've gone 3 years without firing on anything with horns on its head :confused:

Yep, i agree, I'm from missouri I'm sure maryland is much different than here, on another note, what is a a "good" buck around there, Here in Missouri, i wouldn't consider a buck "good" untill its 140" I know its hard to judge when they are still on the hoof, but I wont take a shot at a buck unless i'm very confident that buck will go 150" while rifle hunting. I'm hoping this is my year, I think im due I've gone 3 years without firing on anything with horns on its head :confused:

We got some hammers running around here also, The smallest buck on my wall is 129 5/8 net he was 129 7/8 gross. It was taken with a bow at 3 yards and the largest deer that I have grossed 176 6/8 and net was 146 2/8 taken with a bow at less then 10 yards theres a link to the pic in this thread. Me personally I try not to shoot a buck unless I'm willing to hang it on my wall, And a buck better at least make pope and young before I'll shoot at it. I have 4 buddies that all have deer that grossed over 200. Believe me Maryland is in the top 10 places to kill big deer in this country. The only problem is that there is no regulations on the size of a legal buck so most guys drop em even if their spikes, Which in my opinion is pointless you cant eat the rack. I'm just as happy taken a doe to fill the freezer with. This is a pic of my first mountable buck at least what I consider mountable and this is the smallest mount on my wall hes an eight pointer with 2 kickers of the back bases and this deer field dressed at 182 pounds hes got a 21" inside spread and netted 129 5/8 at 4 1/2 years old not to shabby. You gotta let them go so they can grow.

dsc00356ca.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, but that was the exit hole side, i was about 25 feet up in my lone wolf climber, it was dark, thats a cell phone picture and i was in a hurry to gut and hang before the NWTF banquet which our shop sponsored. the entrance hole was more at the top of the head it was a brain shot, but shooting rage broad heads 2" cut 2 blades that brain was mush, to be honest i shot one in the head with my 300 win mag with a 150 grain Hornady GMX and it took everything off the head under the top of the skull plate almost to the bottom of the jaw. I guess it really just depends on the area your in. I can completely understand where you guys are coming from saying thats not an ethical shot but i feel it is. Ethics is a personal opinion, i've seen many many deer get way from a vital area shot than a head shot. Just my opinion not trying to turn this into a giant blow up thread just a discussion. I've lost 2 deer in my life, one with a bow and one with a gun. The one i lost with my bow was a 2 yard shot for a stand that measured 22' from the platform to the ground (old oak tree with a perfect split for a permanent stand) went in straight down and i watched the buck with the arrow sticking straight up out of its back just on the right side of its spine, problem was that we couldn't find any blood to trail it because the hair was soaking up or just not enough to run clear down its back. The next spring the neighbor found him laying in the bottoms so it was a kill shot but just couldn't find him. We looked for 3 days. Too bad, that was the nicest buck i've ever shot too. The mice/squirrels had ate up his rack by the next spring. Morel of the story is, no matter how good of a shot you are, shit happens and no matter what area you shoot/ aim for, at some point in your life you WILL loose a deer, like if you own a quad at some point you WILL wreck it. It's inevitable, just hope everytime you shoot, doe, fawn, trophy buck, you make a quick clean kill.

Post pics or I call Bullshit on a garbage 2 blade Rage penetrating the skull. Prove me wrong.

or hit us with a truck......

:rotflmao:

I would have picked up the gun not the camera.

i dont own any guns

the deer are my friends

the one standing tall in front loves bananas and apples

ive known her for about 4 years now, i still see her 1-2 times a week.

the little one to the left of her eats out of my hand

• 3 weeks later...

That's cool to have the deer in your yard like that. I love hunting, but I also love to just watch wild animals. Nothing better than being in the treestand and watching everything around me. I'm not one of those hunters who has to kill everything within range.

Nice pic.

That's cool to have the deer in your yard like that. I love hunting, but I also love to just watch wild animals. Nothing better than being in the treestand and watching everything around me. I'm not one of those hunters who has to kill everything within range.

Nice pic.

Thats what its all about, The kill is just a bonus.

Thats what its all about, The kill is just a bonus.

not trying to be difficult here... but

if it was truly all about the beauty of nature, being in the woods, enjoying yourself and all the living things around you, why must you bring murder into the picture to complete the day?

to me that makes no sense, if you enjoy the beauty and tranquility of being in the woods on a nice day, watching nature, how is aiming your high powered rifle at one of natures beautiful creatures and pulling the trigger, a bonus ?

yes i understand the food i buy from shoprite came from animals that were killed and i am eating them, but at the same time, i dont claim to enjoy the beauty of cows and chickens in their natural habitat, and if i did, i sure as hell wouldnt be bringin my gun while going to observe them

have you ever seen 2 baby deer chase eachother around their mom in circles playing tag like 2 puppy dogs? how can the bonus of that day be shooting their mother or father and throwing him in the back of your truck? i have nothing against hunting or hunters, but dont claim to love the beauty of nature and watching the deer in their natural habitat when you are really just there to shoot one , hang its head on the wall and post pics on the internet of its dead body

There are some days you sit and watch some you let the lead or arrow fly. In the begining of the season i watch more than i shoot. Last day of the season you better not even move. I have sat and watch a couple of fawns play for hours before. Some days mom get the short end of the deal and ends up as dinner. That is the way it goes.

The county i hunt in the state let people get like 25 doe tags and wiped out the herd. The biggest buck we have takin out of our camp is a small seven point.It was the first on seen in like 3 years. The DNR in michigan SUCKS!!!!!!!!

Law makers should be forced to hunt if they are going to pass laws on hunting. People who don't hunt should look the other way and mind there business. Just thank all hunters who take a deer,If we quit hunting think of how many more people would hit them on the freeway.

Hunters just help out with natural selection. Instead of them starving from a harsh winter or over population we get to enjoy the taste of nature!!!!!!!

Just my .02

not trying to be difficult here... but

if it was truly all about the beauty of nature, being in the woods, enjoying yourself and all the living things around you, why must you bring murder into the picture to complete the day?

to me that makes no sense, if you enjoy the beauty and tranquility of being in the woods on a nice day, watching nature, how is aiming your high powered rifle at one of natures beautiful creatures and pulling the trigger, a bonus ?

yes i understand the food i buy from shoprite came from animals that were killed and i am eating them, but at the same time, i dont claim to enjoy the beauty of cows and chickens in their natural habitat, and if i did, i sure as hell wouldnt be bringin my gun while going to observe them

have you ever seen 2 baby deer chase eachother around their mom in circles playing tag like 2 puppy dogs? how can the bonus of that day be shooting their mother or father and throwing him in the back of your truck? i have nothing against hunting or hunters, but dont claim to love the beauty of nature and watching the deer in their natural habitat when you are really just there to shoot one , hang its head on the wall and post pics on the internet of its dead body

Because they taste so fucking good. If god didnt intend for us to eat the deer he would of made them taste like shit. And I dont know if you tried it, but eating a live deer is just to difficult. All the kicking and bucking it's just to damn hard plus I think cooking them alive is a little inhumane.

Michael Jackson: As I respect your opinion, which, in your mind I'm sure makes total sense, some will disagree.

I, for one, find bowhunting one of the most challenging and rewarding pastimes there are. You say how you buy your meat at the grocery store and eat it but don't claim to enjoy wathing nature? So you don't mind turning a blind eye to what really goes on at the slaughter house where your beef and chicken comes from, but us hunters are like savage beasts out there killing an animal using good judgement and ethics (not everyone, but they should)? It takes almost no time for a deer to expire from a well placed shot, and they never see it coming. How about them cows which are usually treated like dirt, then brutally slaughtered at the places where your grocer buys their meat?

Venison (deer meat) has about 1/3 the fat that beef has in the same serving size and venison tastes incredible.. Honestly, who thinks about steak just after they've eaten a piece of venison? Nobody in their right mind. Venison is all natural and very healthy. I'd take Venison over beef anyday.

Watch the Documentary "FOOD INC." You may never hit up the grocery store for beef or chicken again after you see what goes on with those helpless animals before you consume them.

• 1 month later...

Michael Jackson: As I respect your opinion, which, in your mind I'm sure makes total sense, some will disagree.

I, for one, find bowhunting one of the most challenging and rewarding pastimes there are. You say how you buy your meat at the grocery store and eat it but don't claim to enjoy wathing nature? So you don't mind turning a blind eye to what really goes on at the slaughter house where your beef and chicken comes from, but us hunters are like savage beasts out there killing an animal using good judgement and ethics (not everyone, but they should)? It takes almost no time for a deer to expire from a well placed shot, and they never see it coming. How about them cows which are usually treated like dirt, then brutally slaughtered at the places where your grocer buys their meat?

Venison (deer meat) has about 1/3 the fat that beef has in the same serving size and venison tastes incredible.. Honestly, who thinks about steak just after they've eaten a piece of venison? Nobody in their right mind. Venison is all natural and very healthy. I'd take Venison over beef anyday.

Watch the Documentary "FOOD INC." You may never hit up the grocery store for beef or chicken again after you see what goes on with those helpless animals before you consume them.

I agree totally with this statement. Have you ever rode past a field of beef cattle? they are left there to waddle in their own shit, shot up with hormones, steroids and antibiotics. Does any one ever wonder why? In all my years hunting I've never come across a deer covered in it's own shit or hanging out with a bunch of dead deer just laying out in a field until the farmer has a chance to bury them in one big ass hole.