WAT DO I NEED TO RUN MY HID'S?

freddy

im just hitting u guys up cause i tried running hids on my banshee and i asked on here wat i needed, and they told me to get a rectifier to convert the ac to dc , so i did and i plugged them in and they kinda started to light up and then shut off so i turned my bike off and tested the hid's on a battery and they did not light up , smelled the box and smelled like burnt, opened it up and the chip was fried!! so im creating this thread to see if u guys can help me, wat is it i need to run my hid kit on my bike , and please be as specific as possible. thanks in advance for any help or input, and sorry for the long story.

Did you properly wire in the rectifier? You have to float the ground in the stator, add a wire and connect both wires to the rectifier/regulator. It has to be a regulator/rectifier for a DC conversion, not just a replacement regulater for the AC system that Yamaha set the bike up with. You will probably neeed to add either a battery or a capacitor to help stabilize the DC voltage also, some HIDs will work without it though.

no i havnt done anything to my stator? can u tell me how im suppose to do that? and would it just be easier to run a battery and run that to the hids, and then the rectifier conneected to the stock wiring rewired back into the battery so it will charge the small battery when i run my hid's?? thanks

If you have not floated the ground in the stator then you have not converted the bike to DC and that is why you smoked the ballasts. You need to remove the flywheel and the stator from the bike, find the screw terminal with the ground wire for the lighting side of the stator, you will have to remove some epoxy coating to get the screw out. Remove the screw and cut the terminal off the wire, you will have to solder on a piece of wire and route it out of the staor and connect it to the rectifier. This is called "floating the ground", once it is done properly and coorectly wired to the rectifier/regulator , you will have DC power for your HIDs, however, you may need a battery or capacitor to stabilize the voltage in the system. There is info on the Trail Tech site http://www.trailtech.net/media/instructions/lights/stators/AC-DC_Banshee_Stator_Conversion_Instructions.pdf that tells you how to do this and has some pictures. If you don't want to do all this, then you should add a battery, seperate wires and a switch connected just to the HIDs, you will then have to charge the battery with a charger or jumper cables from your truck. That will provide Dc power to the HIDs, but your run time will be limited, and you can not connect the battery or lights to any existing stuff on the bike. If you don't float the ground in the stator. there is no need to run a rectifier/ regulator, and you should stay with the stock regulator. Hope this helps.

Edited by bansheesandrider

can u tell me how to wire up my rectiier and from where i would hook up the power and the ground??? thanks man uve been alot of help so far

We are going to need to know what brand/model of rectifier and what color wires and how many of each color are on the rectifier. Also, you should be able to go on the manufacturer's website and get a wiring diagram.

well its a cheap one i bought at radio shack, it shows a +, - and two ~ signs and im guessing the yellow and the new ground wire ima install from the stator ground wire will both go on the ~ signs and the + and- signts well plus to the battery and the existing blue wire, and the black to ground and battery neg terminal. am i right? also , it should work no matter how cheap it is right?

You can wire the regulator/rectifier half wave dc to just charge a battery. The stator doesn't have to be floated for that, but its roughly only half the watage output. YOU HAVE TO RUN A BATTERY OR CAPACITOR WIRED DC TO RUN HIDS ON A 2-STROKE!