19 tooth banshee front sprocket

BB-banshee171

For a stock cylinder 4mil I think that's very respectable. Especially since it sounds like you're just getting started on asphalt.   

A 500' track is certainly better than no track at all... Lots of guy's here run 300' dirt so what the hell - You do what's available to ya' and it's better than taking it to the street IMO. We run 1/4 mile because that's what's in our backyard.

Ran out of gear at 500 ft with 18/40 with stock primary's and 19" American racers

I don't think you are very far off from the optimum gearing for 1/8 mile. I do things differently than most when gearing an ATV. I'll explain it a little better under the other quotes.

While I don't have all your set-up. I can tell the Quad is lighter than most & I'm assuming the rider is light. Plus, you are using a 19" dia. tire. Just need the rider weight & primary ratio for a clearer picture.

You want to top out at the 1/8 mile mark.

This explanation is pretty vague. At the minimum you should be at the RPM your motor makes peak HP. In most cases, the motor should be at a higher RPM than peak HP at the finish line. Example below.

Yea I imagine it is a totally diff setup. My lil motor would probably fall on it's face if I geared it for quarter mile.

Our gearing stays the same between 1/8 & 1/4 mile in 98% of our situations. We only use 5th gear for 1/8, but use 6th for 1/4.

Here's the example of rpm I was talking about. Our motor made peak HP at 9,700 rpm. On our quickest and fastest runs we hit the finish line at 10,700-10,800 rpm.